Goal 7.1: Promote Quality and Excellence
Promote an institutional vision of quality and excellence in academic and administrative
programs and activities.
- 7.1.1: Regularly review and enhance messages for new faculty, staff, and students to ensure
early introduction to and understanding of, the University’s strategic vision, history,
- 7.1.2: Ensure consistency among vision messages from all internal sources to include reinforcement
of WCU’s role as a regional institution through its involvement in the NC Promise
tuition plan and emphasis of UNC-approved institutional areas of distinction.
Goal 7.2: Vision and External Communities
Facilitate a shared understanding of the institution’s strategic vision among the
University’s external communities.
- 7.2.1: Create and grow a meaningful hybrid blend of virtual and face-to-face engagement
opportunities that equip both alumni and leadership boards to better advocate, serve,
and contribute to Western Carolina University.
- 7.2.2: Regularly complete a competitive analysis and external perception research to develop
a reputation strategy, and a current market analysis to tailor the university’s messaging
Goal 7.3: Mix of Financial Resources
Maximize and target a balanced and diverse mix of financial resources that will enable
achievement of the University’s strategic vision.
- 7.3.1: Explore innovative revenue generation strategies to minimize the cost of higher
education to students, as far as practicable.
- 7.3.2: Implement a comprehensive plan to increase significantly the advocacy efforts among
elected officials on behalf of University and system priorities, adjusting as necessary
due to shifts in the external or political landscapes.
- 7.3.3: Seek private support through philanthropic gifts and grants to increase support
for academic excellence and the student experience, diversity, equity, and inclusion,
regional engagement, athletic facilities, unrestricted annual support, and other philanthropic
priorities to increase the baseline of philanthropic support.
- 7.3.4: Increase the number, value, and competitiveness of sponsored research proposals
while increasing research support and productivity.