Goal 2.1: Perspectives of Others
Create opportunities for students to explore points of view on different issues and
to understand the perspectives of others through civil and informed discourse and
- 2.1.1: Create opportunities for students to explore points of view on different issues
and to understand the perspectives of others through civil and informed discourse
and debate utilizing campus partners.
- 2.1.2: Create and track opportunities for student membership and leadership on institutional
decision-making committees and organizations.
- 2.1.3: Implement diversity and inclusion initiatives to enhance students' understanding
of other ethnicities and cultures.
- 2.1.4: Leverage intercollegiate athletics to instill pride among students, faculty, staff,
alumni, and friends of the University.
Goal 2.2 – Institutional Pride
Instill institutional pride through more visible recognition and celebration of university
achievements and traditions.
- 2.2.1: Create experiences that strengthen students' connection to their university and
emphasize engagement with alumni and friends of the University as students prepare
for a professional career.
- 2.2.2: Build and sustain educational programs that recognize, respect, and celebrate Western
North Carolina culture, including Cherokee history and traditions.
Goal 2.3: Career Exploration and Skills
Create opportunities for skill development and career exploration through involvement
in experiential activities.
- 2.3.1: Expand the utilization of the DegreePlus and other programs that promote transferable
skill development for students.
- 2.3.2: Promote student engagement in high-impact practices connected to professional development
such as undergraduate research, service-learning, internships, and study abroad.
- 2.3.3: Develop co-curricular experiences that enhance classroom learning and professional
- 2.3.4: Identify and promote existing opportunities at WCU, the WNC region, and North Carolina,
where DegreePlus students can engage in reflection and articulation.
Goal 2.4: Wellbeing and Full Potential
Create avenues to empower students to achieve their best possible wellbeing and cultivate
a campus environment in which students can reach their full potential in all facets
of their lives, both in and out of the classroom.
- 2.4.1: Create and implement programs that embrace the elements of wellness to build and
sustain a collaborative, comprehensive framework approach, with innovative strategies
for engagement to help students be healthy and well.
- 2.4.2: Utilizing the elements of wellness (environmental, social, intellectual, spiritual,
occupational, physical, and emotional) as a comprehensive framework approach to increase
cross-campus awareness of current programs, services, and resources that support and
assist students in engaging in a holistic, total college experience.
Goal 2.5: Sense of Belonging
Create opportunities that increase a student's ability to find their sense of belonging
- 2.5.1: Provide programs and initiatives, both formally and informally, for students living
off-campus and on campus in residence halls designed to create a sense of belonging
among incoming and continuing students.
- 2.5.2: Create a plan to gather data on sense of belonging from graduating students.