Regularly enrolled students who desire to take any course at another institution on
a transient basis and transfer it back to WCU must secure the appropriate approvals
before enrollment at the other institution in order to guarantee the transfer of credit.
Students must be in good standing and academically eligible to re-enroll at Western
Carolina University to secure transient permission.
Transient Permission Procedures
- Request a copy of the proposed institution's course schedule to ensure that the coursework
will be offered during the transient term.
- Secure course description(s) to facilitate the transfer evaluation. Course equivalencies
must be verified by an authorized individual (Advisor and/or Department Head). If
the proposed institution is a North Carolina Community College, course descriptions
are not required. For North Carolina Community College equivalencies see the North
Carolina Community College Course Equivalencies on the Credits Earned Elsewhere page.
Unless you are requesting that the course transfer as something other than what is
indicated, these equivalencies require no further authorization.
- Transient Permission Forms can be obtained from the Registrar’s website Forms Page,
the departmental office or the Registrar's Office.
- Signatures from your advisor and department head are required. The Office of the Registrar
will verify your academic standing and email a copy of the approved or denied form
to your catamount email.
- After grades have been posted for your transient course(s), please request that an
official transcript be forwarded to the WCU Office of the Registrar for processing.
WCU cannot award transfer credits from any source other than your official transcript.
NOTE: Only courses(s) passed with a grade of C or better (a C- is not acceptable)
- If you are completing transfer work in your final semester, you must submit a completed
Transient Permission from to the Office of the Registrar for approval.
Please Note: Students should consult with their academic advisor when determining
courses to complete at another institution. The Office of the Registrar will assist
in determining the WCU equivalent of a transfer course; however, the Office of the
Registrar does not provide academic advisement with regard to the appropriateness
of the course for a student's degree program.