Skip to main content

WCU Passport Services

Apply for your US Passport at Western Carolina University! 

image of two USA passports and a globe


WCU Global can now accept applications for US Passports. Regardless of whether this is your first time applying or if it has been more than five years since your passport last expired, our office can help! 

While convenient for WCU Students, Faculty, and Staff, the service is open to ALL community members of Western North Carolina and beyond.

Applications are only accepted with appointments. Schedule an appointment with WCU Passport Services to get started.  Questions? Contact or call 828.227.7494.

If you have previously applied for a passport, you may be able to renew by mail. For more information, review the requirements at  to see if you qualify.  

Hours of Operation Location Make an Appointment

Tuesday 9am - 3pm
Wednesday 9am - 1pm
Thursday 9am - 3pm

Small Groups (2-3 people)
Tuesday 1pm - 3pm
Thursday 1pm - 3pm

109 Cordelia Camp Building
69 E. University Way
Cullowhee, NC 28723

Schedule with WCU Passport Services


Application Requirements

WCU Passport Services is open to WCU students, employees, and the greater community as a whole. We look forward to guiding you through the passport application process. Bring the following with you to your appointment. 

Application forms are available in our office (Camp Building 109). You also may choose to fill out your application online with the Department of State Form Filler to save time and reduce errors.

The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.

  • You can apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both documents using Form DS-11.
  • You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by selecting the 52 pagebox at the top of the DS-11.
  • Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.

You must provide a Social Security number if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a signed and dated statement that includes the phrase: "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration."

For more information, please see the Travel.State.Gov Frequently Asked Questions.

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

  • Valid, undamaged US Passport (may be expired)
  • US Birth Certificate that meets the following requirements…
  • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
  • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
  • Lists your parent(s)' full names
  • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
  • Has the registrar's signature
  • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence. Please note you cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a mobile or electronic birth certificate. You must submit physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the document.

Note: We will send your original documentation with your application. Your original documentation will be mailed back to you by the U.S. State Department.

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license, or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: 1) In-state, valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, valid non- driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents.

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Photo Identification.

Please note:

  • Some states now issue digital ID documents (also known as mobile driver's licenses or mobile IDs). We cannot accept these digital IDs when you apply for your U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical, photo ID and a photocopy of the ID.
  • If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
  • If you are changing the sex marker in your U.S. passport, please see these additional requirements

WCU students, faculty, and staff can now have passport photos as well as professional headshots made with the Iris Photo Booth provided in the Center for Career and Professional Development in Reid 150. Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm.

  • No appointments are needed, and photos services can be accessed via self-service during business hours (828.227.7133).
  • Students can obtain 2 FREE passport/ID/Visa photos in the Office of Global Engagement (Camp Building 109).
  • Call WCU Global at 828.227.7494 or write with any questions.
  • Other campus community members can obtain 2 passport photos for $17.

This passport facility is unable to provide photo services to applicants outside the Western Carolina University community. For those applicants, we suggest using a local service such as Livingston’s Photos, CVS, or Walgreens before your passport appointment.

Image from demonstrating the requirements for a good passport photo

There are two different payments due upon processing. We can only accept personal checks, cashier's checks, and money orders. Money orders may be obtained at the US Post Office, banks, credit unions and many grocery stores. We cannot accept cash or credit cards.  

Paid to the US Department of State

  • Adult passport fees: $130/passport book; $30/passport card, expedited passport fees (if applicable)
  • Minor* passport fees (if under 16): $100/passport book; $15/ passport card

Paid to Western Carolina University

  • $35 Application Fee for each application submittedOptional 1-2 day mail delivery as well as photo services are offered.

Forms, fees, and procedures are subject to change at any time, as determined by the US Department of State. For the most up to date information, please visit the State Department Website. 

* Children under 16 applying for a passport must have consent from both parents or the parent having sole legal custody for passport issuance. If you have any questions, please contact . 

If any of the below categories apply to you, you may have additional requirements for your passport application. Please see the relevant page for more information.

Office of Web Services