Penland-Stone and Trull Potteries, Candler
was one of the earliest potteries established in Buncombe County. Beginning around 1844, the site was one of three places in North Carolina that was called “Jugtown” for its prolific output of utilitarian ware. Members of the Penland and Stone families produced stoneware pots for domestic use. Several generations of family potters made crocks, pitchers, and storage jars finished with ash glazes and a variety of clay slips. Throughout the 19th century, pottery making was a start-from-scratch operation, with glazes mined and ground from local minerals. Penland-Stone Pottery operated for over 100 years before closing its doors in 1945. At the turn of the 20th century, Trull Pottery
was built across the road from the Penland-Stone Pottery in Candler. Clay was hauled in from rich clay deposits in nearby Luther and Hendersonville. The wood frame shop was built adjacent to a creek that was diverted to turn a waterwheel to provide power to the operation. With an ample supply of water power, the shop was able to produce large quantities of pottery.