Cherokee Phoenix


Published August, 25, 1832

Page 2 Column 4a


St. Louis, Aug. 1---By the arrival, last night, of the Steamboat Enterprise, from Galena, letters were received in town giving an account of a battle that was fought by the Mounted Troops under the command of Gen. Dodge and the main body of the Indians, after a close pursuit of one hundred miles. The Indians it appears were making their way towards the Mississippi with the intention of crossing, but being closely pursued they were compelled to incline in the direction of the Wisconsin, with a view of taking refuge on an island in that river, or of crossing first the Wisconsin, and thus gain time sufficient to make a safe retreat across the Mississippi. They were however overtaken at Wisconsin, and after and hour's fighting were completely defeated, and no doubt would have been cut to pieces had not the darkness of night enabled them to escape.- The army is still in pursuit; and from the starved condition of the Indians, they will doubtless be overtaken.

The following letter from Gen. Dodge to Captain Loomis will give particulars of the fight.


July 22d, 1832.

'We met the enemy yesterday near the Wisconsin river, and opposite the Sac village after a close pursuit for near 100 miles. Our loss was one killed and eight wounded; from the scalps taken by the Winnebagoes, as well as those taken by the whites, and the Indians carried from the field of battle, we must have killed about 40 of them. The number of wounded is not known; we can only judge from the number killed that many were wounded. From their crippled situation, I think we must overtake them, unless they descend the Wisconsin by water. If you could place a field piece immediately on the Wisconsin that would command the river, you might prevent their escape by water. Gen. Atkinson will arrive at the Blue Mounds on the 24th with the regulars and a brigade of mounted men. I will cross the Wisconsin to-morrow, and should the enemy retreat by land, he will probably attempt crossing some twenty miles above Prairie du Chien; in that event, the mounted men would want some boats for the transportation of their arms, ammunition, and provisions. If you could procure for us some Mackinaw boats, in that event, as well as some provision supplies, it would greatly facilitate our views. Excuse great haste. I am, with great respect, your obedient servant.

(signed) H. DODGE

Col. Comd'g Mich. Mount. Vol.



News from the Army-a battle has been fought.

Extract of a letter from Dr. Phillico to the Editor pro tem dated Wisconsin Heights, July 22d, 1832.

'The army, including Gen. Henry's brigade of mounted Volunteers, and those from Jo Daviess (sic) and lower counties under Gen. Dodge, arrived here late last evening after a forced march of several days, in close pursuit of the whole band of hostile Indians. Here we overtook them as willing to fight as ourselves. They first endeavored to charge us in front. A line of battle was immediately formed, and the Indians repulsed. About sunset they returned re-enforced and made a most desperate effort to break our lines. But our men stood firmly and compelled the enemy to retreat. They then took possession of a ravine where the grass was so high as to conceal them. As soon as their position was ascertained the order 'CHARGE' was given, and executed with such promptitude and effect, as to again compel them to retire from their stronghold.

'The battle continued for more than one hour. The heads of the Indians above the grass resembled stumps in a new cleared forest. We killed three Indians in the pursuit, and we suppose not less than FORTY in battle. I am very happy to state, that we lost but one killed, and eight wounded.

We have been politely favored with the following additional particulars, contained in a letter from Gen. Street, Sub Indian Agent to William Clark, Sup. of Indian Affairs.

'So soon as Gen. Atkinson found the Indians had again eluded his pursuit, ' that they had emerged from the great swamps in which he had been chasing them for several days, and were making their way to the Ouisconsin, he detached Genl's. Dodge and Henry, with 800 picked men, upon their trail; following himself by forced marches with the remainder of his troops. The detachment had the good fortune to come up with the main body of the enemy, armed in order of battle, having selected their ground on the evening of the 21st July, and notwithstanding the troops had made a march of 40 miles that day, it was determined to attack them immediately. Gen. D. with a detachment of mounted men under cover of a ravine, turned the enemy's flank, and, at concerted signal from the flanking party, charged them with his remaining forces in front. The enemy immediately gave way, and fled in great confusion, carrying off many wounded from the ground. Their retreat led through a bottom of high grass, loaded with wet,(it having rained hard nearly six hours) which, with the closing in of night, rendered it prudent to draw off the pursuit. It is believed, that two hours more of daylight would have enabled Gen. Dodge to have completely cut up the enemy. Gen. D. encamped near the field, and moved in search of the enemy early on the 22d; in going about one mile, he came upon their camp, which had been deserted the previous night.- He pursued the trail to the Ouisconsin, about 40 miles west of the portage, where he discovered that the whole body of the hostile Indians had crossed to the north bank.'