The following notice of the Penobscot Indians is taken from a letter dated, June 23d, 1823, and addressed to the Editor by Mr. Brewer, now Missionary to the East.
'This tribe which is now reduced to about 300, own and occupy all the islands in the river between this and Metowomkeag, 50 miles above.- They have likewise reserved to themselves four whole townships on the river farther north. The islands contain some thousand acres of the best of land. You are perhaps aware that these Indians as well the Passomaquoddies and St. Johns (both now small tribes) have for a long time been under the influence of Catholic priests. For two years past, since the government of the State have declined paying their salary, there has been no one among them. Only two or three of them can read, and though they have annually 20 or 30 acres plowed for them by government, yet they give but little attention to agriculture.- The game towards the sources of the Penobscot, which has been their chief dependence will soon fail them, and surrounded as they are by the whites, their situation will soon become wretched unless they turn their attention to cultivating the ground.'