Blackboard Process Upgrade
The LMS Team is planning a minor upgrade to the process between Banner and Blackboard
on Wednesday, May 25, 2017. There is no downtime expected and we hope to shorten the time between updates during
the day to Blackboard to every hour instead of every two hours. We are also working
to include users “preferred” name rather than their formal names in our Blackboard
Environment. Please be looking for these changes starting during the summer term.
The LMS is planning an upgrade of the WCU Blackboard environment starting at 5:00 pm on July 14th through 5:00 pm on July 15th. This upgrade has included many updates to the instructor and student tools to help
both be more efficient and effective. Below is a list of some of the major upgrades.
- Drag-and-drop feature for instructors to use to attach files to assignments and for
students to attach to assignments.
- Instructors will be able to access Submission Receipts that will capture the date,
time and attached file information to assist with grade disputes.
- Instructors will be able to send Reminders from the Grade Center to students who have
- Assessments with multiple attempts will only show the first or last attempt in Needs
Grading as indicated when the assessment was setup.
For FACULTY: Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is the online collaborative learning tool integrated into the WCU Blackboard environment that has
permanently replaced GoToMeeting. If you are interested in using Blackboard Collaborate
Ultra in your courses, please click here to complete the request form and a member of the LMS team will be in touch to help
you get started.
For STUDENTS: Course Material Access
Congratulations Western Carolina University December 2016 Graduates! As Eleanor Roosevelt
once said, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
You have accomplished something great and have fulfilled your dream of earning a degree!
Don’t lose all of the hard work and effort you put forth, make copies of everything
you created before August 2017, or you will lose access to it. Remember, you maintain
access to your files for only two semesters (including the summer semester) after
you graduate. Everyone here at WCU wishes you great success in all of your future
endeavors! Good luck!
Faculty Support and Resources
Faculty Request Forms
Academic Integrity Learning Module
- WCU IT Help Desk
- 7:30 am – 6:30 pm Monday – Friday
- Phone: 828-227-7487
Toll Free Number: 866-928-7487
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Self-Help Portal: http://help.wcu.edu
- Knowledge Base: http://help.wcu.edu (Under Find Help click the Search IT Knowledge Articles link.)
- Chat: https://chat.wcu.edu
- 6:00 pm – 11:00 pm Monday – Thursday
- 8:00 am – 8:00 pm Saturday and Sunday
- Submit Help Ticket: http://help.wcu.edu (Under Request and Incidents , click on the Submit an iTicket link.)
- Coulter Faculty Commons – 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday – Friday
Additional Blackboard Information
Blackboard Outage Calendar 2017