NP&L Company Timeline

1929:  ALCOA secures charter for NP&L as a subsidiary to develop power sites on the Little Tennessee, Nantahala, and Tuckasegee Rivers.

1929:  Stock Market Crash

1930: ALCOA buys up electric companies in Robbinsville, Andrews, Marble, and Tapoco

1933:  NP&L begins selling power to Dillsboro and Sylva Electric Light Company

1937:  NP&L relocates offices from Bryson City to Franklin

1939:  Western Carolinaís Teacherís College becomes part of NP&Lís service area

1940:  Construction of Glenville Dam begins

1940:  Flood of 1940

1941:  Glenville completed and dedicated:  adds 21,600 KW to NP&Lís meager 2,000KW

1942:  Nantahala Dam construction completed

1950:  small dam on Tuckasegee downstream from Thorpe Plant

1950:  Mr John M. Archer became NP&Lís president following the death of Mr. Thorpe in February

1951:  Glenville Plant renamed Thorpe Plant

1952:  NP&L moved into new office on West Main Street in Franklin

1952:  Nantahala now serves 95% of all area residents:  the customer base grew from 86 to 8,373 in 23 years

1952:  Cedar Cliff Lake and dam construction completed

1954:  Bear Creek dam and reservoir completed

1955:  Wolf Creek and Tennessee Creek completed

1957:  Dillsboro and Sylva Electric Light Company bought out by NP&L

1959:  NP&L must buy power from TVA to meet demands

1971:  ALCOA voluntarily ceases to be customer of NP&L

1976:  Mr William M. Jontz becomes NP&Lís president

1988:  An auction of land (2300 acres)  NP&L grossed $4 million + from auction

1988: Duke Power purchases NP&L

1991:  NP&L system connected to Dukeís at Tuckasegee

1993:  Ed Tucker becomes new president of NP&L

1993:  Blizzard of í93 hits western North Carolina

1995:  Hurricane Opal hits western North Carolina

1997:  NP&L moved into new corporate headquarters in Franklin

1998:  NP&L became division of Duke Power

2003:  Fred Alexander, former manager of corporate communications for NP&L, donates artifacts to WCUís Special Collections and Mountain Heritage Center



Project Home Page

WCU Special Collections


© Western Carolina University

NOTICE: WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS The digitalized exhibit ìWatts in The Mountains: Rural Electrification in Western North Carolinaî is the sole property of Western Carolina University. As such, all materials presented in this exhibit are protected under the current law of the United States (Title 17, U. S. Code) that governs the making of copies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Fair use under the law permits reproduction of single copies for private study or research. Further transmission, reproduction, or presentation of protected items without the written permission of the copyright owners is forbidden This institution reserves the right to refuse any additional copying petitions if, in its judgments, fulfillment of the request would involve violation of the copyright law.