So now that you've been accepted to WCU, why wait for fall? Get a head start on your
college career by participating in Catamount Gap! Students who qualify for financial
aid can use their 2017-18 financial aid package during the summer and complete 6-8
credit hours over 5 weeks.
Interested in earning 6 credits in Europe this summer? Check out Catamount Gap Abroad!
How about honing your math skills? Participate in STEM Enrichment
Students diagnosed on the Autism spectrum can gain extra support through ASTeP: Autism Support in Transition Program.
CATAMOUNT GAP BY THE NUMBERS
- $105: money waved per credit, summer vs. fall
- $840: money saved when enrolled in 8 summer credits
- $50,000: available in summer stipends for those who qualify
- 26%: students with a perfect 4.0 GPA in summer 2017 Catamount Gap
- 49%: Gap 2017 students with Dean's List designation or better
- 3.30: average summer GPA in Catamount Gap 2017
- 86%: Gap 2017 students who would recommend that their friends attend a summer program
Bridge the gap from high school to college life in an active investigation of how
your academic, social, and personal success development are intertwined. This 5-week
program, running June 25-August 1, 2018, provides students the opportunity to develop
a network of faculty, staff, high-achieving upperclassman, and peers in an inclusive
learning community environment. Students will receive academic support opportunities
such as individualized tutoring and writing consultations, supplemental instruction
group study sessions, and academic skill workshops while earning 6-8 credits toward
graduation depending on program track. Students also have the opportunity to participate
in adventure activities such as hiking, kayaking, white-water rafting, and rock climbing
activities through Base Camp Cullowhee, and enjoy concerts and movies outdoors at the Catafount.
Explore Our 7 Academic Themes
HEALTH AND HUMAN SCIENCES
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, AND MATH (STEM)
Why a summer in Cullowhee?
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students have the exclusive opportunity
for a special STEM Enrichment program at no additional cost where they can hone their math skills and prepare for college-level
- Get a jump-start on your major, or earn liberal studies requirements if undecided.
- Earn 6-8 credits toward graduation in just five weeks.
- Receive individual support from the Writing and Learning Commons and Math Tutoring
- Be matched with a high-achieving peer mentor.
- Learn the ins and outs of the university process during the slower-paced summer session.
- Be introduced to several out of the classroom student clubs and organizations such
as intramural sports, minority student organizations, and other leadership opportunities.
- Go on a field trip within your learning community: previous years included trips to
the Duke Energy Center, the Cherokee Heritage Museum, and a float down the French
- Connect with other students and build relationships with key faculty and staff members
who will continue to support you throughout your time at the University.
- Academic incentives and awards as well as other motivational techniques.
- Enjoy the local community and adventure opportunities the mountains of Western North
Carolina provides during the summer.
What Former Catamount Gap Students are Saying
Natalie Davis, Catamount Gap 2016: Honors College
Hugo Sanchez, Catamount Gap 2015
2018 Catamount Gap Dates
- Move in: Monday, June 25
- WCU Orientation - June 25-26
- Summer Classes Begin - Wednesday, June 27
- Summer Classes End - Wednesday, August 1
- Closing Session - Wednesday, August 1
- Fall Classes Begin - August 20
Catamount Gap Residence Hall
All Catamount Gap students will be housed in Norton Hall.
You can find instructions on how to enroll on this page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for commonly asked questions.