What is the STEM Enrichment program?
STEM (Sciences, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Enrichment is reserved for students
enrolled in Catamount Gap and designed to help students fine-tune their math skills (primarily college algebra)
before jumping in to college-level math courses. Students will also explore STEM academic,
professional, and career opportunities during this week-long program. STEM Enrichment
is in session the week prior to Catamount Gap and is FREE OF COST to the student! ENROLLMENT IS LIMITED TO JUST 10 STUDENTS and is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Enroll opens soon!
For more info about what STEM Enrichment covers, please see the 2017 STEM Enrichment itinerary
*Students who are required to take MATH 130 during Catamount Gap have enrollment preference
over MATH 146 and 153 students.
What does a typical day look like?
Mornings are split in to two math skill development sessions. First, students will
an hour long math concept session focused on college algebra review, followed by an
hour long hands-on math skill application session. The afternoon session is reserved
for exploration of Science, Technology, and Engineering concepts, careers, and interactive
activities. Afternoon sessions will also include at least one field trip. Evenings
will provide opportunities to participate in social and entertainment events such
as hiking and other outdoor activities, movies, gaming tournaments, intramural activities
(use of Recreation Center, disc golf, table tennis, billiards, basketball, etc.),
and others. Students will have short breaks in between sessions as well as long breaks
for meals. Students will be provided plenty of free time in the late afternoon and
evenings as well.
Why enroll in STEM Enrichment?
- FREE OF COST!!
- Opportunity to fine tune your understanding of college algebra concepts as well as
learn beneficial college level mathematics skills
- Targeted academic skill building as it relates to college level mathematics
- Participate in engaging STEM activities
- Learn about WCU opportunities in STEM as well as STEM career opportunities
- Engage with STEM faculty and WCU mathematics professional staff
- Opportunity to move-in to Catamount Gap room prior to other Gap students
- STEM themed field trip (site TBD)
2018 STEM Enrichment and Catamount Gap Dates
- STEM Enrichment move-in: June 17
- STEM Enrichment: June 18-22
- WCU Orientation: June 25-26
- Catamount Gap classes begin: June 27
- Catamount Gap classes end: August 1
- Fall Classes Begin: August 20
Students will live on-campus in the same residence hall they will be in for Catamount
First, confirm your enrollment in Catamount Gap by following all the instructions
on this page.
Then click here to enroll in STEM Enrichment! First priority for STEM enrichment will be for MATH
130 students already enrolled in Catamount Gap.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for commonly asked questions about Catamount Gap and other summer programming.