Can't wait to start college, and looking for a unique opportunity? If so, Catamount
Gap Abroad might be for you! Catamount Gap Abroad is a 5-week abroad experience with
WCU faculty at Dortmund University of Applied Sciences and Arts in beautiful North
Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Students earn six credits toward graduation, live as a
learning community in downtown Dortmund, and experience what Germany and other parts
of Europe has to offer. Financial aid is available. Hurry to apply, enrollment is limited to 15 students.
Check out our webinar presentation about Catamount Gap Abroad HERE!
Why Study Abroad?
- Increase your self-confidence and adaptability
- Improve your interpersonal communication skills
- Develop first-hand knowledge of other societies and cultures
- Broaden your perspectives on U.S. society and yourself
- Increase your understanding of culture and how it impacts our lives and perceptions
- A great way to set yourself apart from other students when building your resume
Why Catamount Gap Abroad?
*Excursion locations dependent on availability
- Inexpensive 5-week study abroad option
- Scholarships available
- Cost includes round trip flight ($1400 value), housing, and day and weekend excursions
to cities such as Amsterdam, Cologne, and Berlin
- Get a unique introduction to college learning and expectations
- Explore what Germany and Europe have to offer
- Make good friends and great connections with other WCU students and faculty
- Participate in FH Dortmund courses with German students and faculty
- No German language experience necessary, both courses are taught in English
- Earn 6 credits toward graduation
- Completes WCU freshman seminar requirement and counts toward liberal studies requirement
- Global business focus, with field trips to German business facilities as well as interactions
with German business leaders
- Intimate course setting: 15:1 student to faculty ratio
- Experienced WCU business faculty
- Both courses count toward graduation, no matter your major (freshman seminar and liberal
BA 133: Introduction to Business: BA 133 is an introductory course in business.It applies fundamental principles of
management, marketing, organizational structure, communication, and basic accounting
principles to issues of the contemporary business environment. Methods include lecture,
simulations, video clips, and discussion of various text- and periodical-based readings.
We will also visit businesses in Germany to see these issues first-hand and interact
with industry professionals.
Business Freshman Seminar: Specific course TBD, but will be a course offered by the College of Business and will
complete freshman seminar requirement.
German language course: The German language course will be led by FH Dortmund faculty, is free of cost, and
carries no credit. The purpose of the course is to immerse students in to the German
culture. Students will learn to communicate effectively and function independently
during their time in Dortmund.
Catamount Gap Abroad Dates
- June 25th and 26th: WCU orientation and Study Abroad info session
- June 27th: Depart for Dusseldorf
- June 29th: Classes begin
- July 30th: Classes end
- August 1st: Return to WCU
The total cost for the program is $3,999.18. This includes 6 credits of tuition, lodging for the duration of the program, flight,
a weekend excursion and day trips, and some ancillary costs such as student health
and travel insurance, a metro pass, and transportation to and from the airport. The
largest cost not covered is meals. Please call MAPS or attend the webinar for more information.
Chosen applicants will be asked to make $500 a non-refundable deposit in order to
secure their seat in the program, due no later than March 1, 2018.
Please see view the Catamount Gap Abroad informational webinar from December.
Enrollment is limited to fifteen students, please apply as soon as possible. Not all students who apply will be selected to
participate. The deadline to apply is approaching and applications could close earlier
if ten qualified students are selected prior to the deadline. If you think you might participate, secure a valid U.S. Passport ASAP. We do not control
how long it will take to obtain the passport.
- Students must be new, incoming students to WCU already admitted for the fall 2018
- Fill out the electronic application here or by clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this page.
- We will confirm receipt of your application and students selected to interview will
be contacted via email provided on the application.
- A review committee will review applications (materials submitted for application to
WCU) and contact students selected to participate.
- Students confirm their seat in the program by submitting a $500 deposit (deposit information
comes in admission letter).
- Application form
- Valid U.S. Passport (expires no sooner than 2/1/2019): Apply or renew here (collected after admitted to program)
- Catamount Gap Abroad Enrollment form (after admitted to program)
- Catamount Gap Abroad contract (after admitted, included in handbook)