Can't wait to start college, and looking for a unique opportunity? If so, Catamount
Gap Abroad might be for you! Catamount Gap Abroad is a 5-week abroad experience with
WCU faculty at Dortmund University of Applied Sciences and Arts in beautiful North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Students earn six credits toward graduation,
live as a learning community in downtown Dortmund, and experience what Germany and
other parts of Europe has to offer. Financial aid is available. Hurry to apply, enrollment is limited to 20 students.
Why Catamount Gap Abroad?
*Excursion locations dependent on availability
- Inexpensive 5-week study abroad option
- Scholarships available
- Cost includes round trip flight ($1500+ value), housing, and day and weekend excursions
to cities such as Amsterdam, Cologne, and Berlin
- Get a unique introduction to college learning and expectations
- Make good friends and great connections with other WCU students and faculty
- Participate in FH Dortmund courses with German students and faculty
- No German language experience necessary, both courses are taught in English
- Increase your self-confidence, adaptability, and communication skills
- Broaden your perspectives on U.S. society and yourself
- Increase your understanding of culture and how it impacts our lives and perceptions
through first-hand knowledge
2019 catamount Gap Abroad Dates
- June 24th and 25th: WCU fall orientation and study abroad info session (students and
- June 26th: Catamount Gap Abroad orientation
- June 27th: Depart for Dusseldorf
- June 28th: Classes begin
- July 30th: Classes end
- July 31: Return to WCU
- Earn 6 credits toward graduation 2019 courses to be determined
- German language course: The German language course will be led by FH Dortmund faculty, is free of cost, and
carries no credit. The purpose of the course is to immerse students in to the German
culture. Students will learn to communicate effectively and function independently
during their time in Dortmund.
- Courses complete WCU freshman seminar requirement and count toward liberal studies
- Intimate course setting: 20:1 student to faculty ratio
- Experienced WCU faculty
- Courses count toward graduation, no matter your major
The total cost for the 2019 program is $2,999.00. This includes 6 credits of tuition, textbooks, lodging for the duration of the program,
flight, a weekend excursion and day trips, and some ancillary costs such as student
health and travel insurance, a metro pass, and transportation to and from the airport.
The largest cost not covered is meals (breakfast is included in stay at hostel). Please call MAPS or attend the webinar for more information.
Chosen applicants will be asked to make $500 a non-refundable deposit in order to
secure their seat in the program, due no later than March 1, 2019.
Please see view the Catamount Gap Abroad informational webinar from 2018 for more information. A 2019 version will be scheduled soon.
Enrollment is limited to twenty students, please apply as soon as possible. Not all students who apply will be selected to
participate. The deadline to apply is approaching and applications could close earlier
if twenty qualified students are selected prior to the deadline. If you think you might participate, secure a valid U.S. Passport ASAP. We do not control
how long it will take to obtain the passport.
- Students must be new, incoming students to WCU already admitted for the summer or
fall 2019 term
- Fill out the electronic application here or by clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this page.
- Submit a personal statement, no longer than 2 pages double spaced. Please submit to
email@example.com. Please answer the following:
- Why you are interested in Catamount Gap Abroad.
- What you would like to experience during the trip.
- What makes you a top candidate to participate.
- We will confirm receipt of your application and personal letter, students selected
to interview will be contacted via email provided on the application.
- Following the interview, a review committee will review applications (materials submitted
for application to WCU) and contact students selected to participate.
- Students confirm their seat in the program by submitting a $500 deposit (deposit information
comes in admission letter).
- Application form and personal statement
- Valid U.S. Passport (expires no sooner than 2/1/2020): Apply or renew here (collected after admitted to program)
- Catamount Gap Abroad Enrollment documents (after admitted to program)