Get a Head Start on Your College Career!
So now that you've been accepted to WCU, why wait for fall? Get a head start on your
college career by participating in Catamount Gap!
This 5-week program, provides students the opportunity to develop a network of faculty,
staff, high-achieving upperclassman, and peers in an inclusive learning community
environment. Students will receive lots of academic support, earn 6-8 credits toward
graduation, and have fun with friends ranging from outdoor adventures to movies and
- Gap Classes run June 28th through July 30th, 2021.
- Get a jump-start on your major or liberal studies requirements--students take USI
130, University Experience (or the corresponding Honors equivalent, USI 101) and two
additional courses chosen based on the student's major, interests, and any transfer
- Connect with other students and make lasting friendships!
- Build relationships with key faculty members who will continue to support you throughout
your time at WCU.
- Earn 6-8 credits--half a semester's worth of courses--in just five weeks!
- Receive support from the Writing and Learning Commons, Math Tutoring Center, and Supplemental
- Be matched with a high-achieving peer mentor.
- Learn the ins and outs of the university during the slower-paced summer session.
- Go on a field trip! Classes have visited Duke Energy Center, the Cherokee Museum,
and the French Broad River.
- Enjoy the adventure opportunities the mountains of Western North Carolina provides
during the summer.
For more information, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.
What Former Catamount Gap Students Have to Say: