Get a Head Start on Your College Career
So now that you've been accepted to WCU, why wait for fall? Get a head start on your
college career by participating in Catamount Gap! Students who qualify for financial
aid can use their 2017-18 financial aid package during the summer and complete 6-8
credit hours over 5 weeks.
Enroll in Catamount Gap Today
Interested in earning 6 credits in Europe this summer? Check out Catamount Gap Abroad!
How about honing your math skills? Participate in STEM Enrichment at no additional cost.
Students diagnosed on the Autism spectrum can gain extra support through ASTeP: Autism Support in Transition Program.
Catamount Gap by the Numbers
- $105: money waved per credit, summer vs. fall
- $840: money saved when enrolled in 8 summer credits
- $50,000: available in summer stipends for those who qualify
- 26%: students with a perfect 4.0 GPA in summer 2017 Catamount Gap
- 49%: Gap 2017 students with Dean's List designation or better
- 3.30: average summer GPA in Catamount Gap 2017
- 86%: Gap 2017 students who would recommend that their friends attend a summer program
About Catamount Gap
Bridge the gap from high school to college life in an active investigation of how
your academic, social, and personal success development are intertwined.
This 5-week program, running June 25-August 1, 2018, provides students the opportunity
to develop a network of faculty, staff, high-achieving upperclassman, and peers in
an inclusive learning community environment.
Students will receive academic support opportunities such as individualized tutoring
and writing consultations, supplemental instruction group study sessions, and academic
skill workshops while earning 6-8 credits toward graduation depending on program track.
Students also have the opportunity to participate in adventure activities such as
hiking, kayaking, white-water rafting, and rock climbing activities through Base Camp Cullowhee, and enjoy concerts and movies outdoors at the Catafount.
2018 Catamount Gap Dates
- Move in: Monday, June 25
- WCU Orientation - June 25-26
- Summer Classes Begin - Wednesday, June 27
- Summer Classes End - Wednesday, August 1
- Closing Session - Wednesday, August 1
- Fall Classes Begin - August 20
Explore Our Academic Themes
Why a summer in Cullowhee?
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students have the exclusive opportunity
for a special STEM Enrichment program at no additional cost where they can hone their math skills and prepare for college-level
- Get a jump-start on your major, or earn liberal studies requirements if undecided.
- Earn 6-8 credits toward graduation in just five weeks.
- Receive individual support from the Writing and Learning Commons and Math Tutoring
- Be matched with a high-achieving peer mentor.
- Learn the ins and outs of the university process during the slower-paced summer session.
- Be introduced to several out of the classroom student clubs and organizations such
as intramural sports, minority student organizations, and other leadership opportunities.
- Go on a field trip within your learning community: previous years included trips to
the Duke Energy Center, the Cherokee Heritage Museum, and a float down the French
- Connect with other students and build relationships with key faculty and staff members
who will continue to support you throughout your time at the University.
- Academic incentives and awards as well as other motivational techniques.
- Enjoy the local community and adventure opportunities the mountains of Western North
Carolina provides during the summer.
What Former Catamount Gap Students are Saying
Catamount Gap Residence Hall
All Catamount Gap students will be housed in Norton Hall.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for commonly asked questions.