Office of International Programs and Services

Faculty-Led Course FAQ for Faculty

What is Faculty-led? Where can I find application and other related documents?

Who to talk to at IPS regarding Faculty-led


Ling LeBeau, Director of IPS,, 828-227-3433

Any information session on Faculty-led?

Yes, at the beginning of each semester. IPS sends email notification to Academic Affairs email list.

Does IPS or WCU have travel grants to support faculty or students for faculty-led?


Where should I send my faculty-led proposal?

You should send proposal to your Department Chair and College Dean for signatures first, and then send to Ling LeBeau at Camp 109J. Ling will review it and send to the Provost for approval.

How long does it take to have a faculty-led proposal approved?

  1. One week at IPS
  2. 2 to 4 weeks at the Provost’s Office

What is the deadline for faculty-led proposal?



Do I need to work with IPS if my faculty-led trip is within the U.S.?


Yes. IPS is the only administrative unit at WCU that administers travel course.

Does IPS provide assistance to first time faculty?

Yes. IPS has orientation for first time faculty, two months before the travel. 

Is there any scholarship for students?

Sorry, no scholarship available.


Can I admit students from other universities and/or anyone in the community who want to participate in my faculty-led trip?


Yes. Students need to apply as a visiting student through WCU Admissions, obtain WCU 92# and then complete Faculty-led student application form.

What is the student admission criteria for faculty-led?


GPA 2.75 and other criteria added by faculty

If my faculty-led is zero credit, do I still need to follow the University protocol?


Yes.  As long as you and your students represent WCU abroad, it is mandatory for you and your students to follow the University protocol.

How much will my compensation be?

  1. Many faculty who lead travel courses elect to waive compensation in order to keep trip costs low for students (of course, faculty costs are always covered).
  2. Regardless of the number of credits, primary instructor pay will be capped at $4500 (benefits included)

     Part time/Fixed Term:

                 Master’s Degree $900 per credit hour
                Terminal Degree $1,000 per credit hour

     Full time:

                 Assistant Professor $1,000 per credit hour

                 Associate Professor $1,125 per credit hour

Full Professor $1,250 per credit hour

  3. For travel component course

      No extra compensation. Faculty will be compensated for the course based on regular compensation structure


Can a 12-month non-faculty employee lead the travel course?


No. 12-month non-faculty employee should only participate as chaperone.

How do students register for my faculty-led course?

IPS will work with the Registrar’s Office to register students.


How do I pay for the group flights, or group housing, or vendor’s cost

  1. If your students have not paid full, there is nothing you can do. You need to wait until you have sufficient funds in the account and pay for the trip costs. Please verify students’ payments with IPS Administrative Assistant, Betty Dishman at x7494,
  2. If your students have paid full, please request a check through University Controller’s Office and pay for the trip. You are discouraged to use personal funds to pay for the trip.
  3. The preferred way is to ask your vendors to send invoice to IPS. IPS will handle the payment.

What if my vendors require credit card payment?


You request a check through the University Controller’s Office and deposit the check in your personal credit card.

Can IPS use University P card to pay for my trip costs?

No, University P card is not allowed to pay for travel. Currently University Controller’s Office is testing a system that potentially may allow P card to pay for travel.


Why does IPS charge student administration fee for faculty-led?

Administration fee paid by students are utilized to develop and sustain study abroad programs at WCU. For example, membership fees for non-profit international education organizations that facilitate study abroad: ISEP, IIE, and CIEE; cost of hosting Study Abroad Fair; hourly wage for student workers.


Why is there a $500 non-refundable student deposit?

To secure student participation for faculty-led trip planning. Otherwise, faculty will never know the number of students who will attend.


Who conducts pre-departure orientation to my students?


Generally, faculty prefers to handle the pre-departure orientation. If faculty needs IPS to conduct the orientation, please contact Jim Gieser, Study Abroad Advisor,

Is there any course evaluation for faculty-led?


Yes. IPS will send one questionnaire to faculty for self-evaluation, and one questionnaire to students to evaluate the faculty-led course, after the trip.

How do I file for reimbursement after the trip?

What if I have funds left after the trip?


Usually faculty spends the entire funds. Sometimes faculty may have $100 to $200 left, or have deficit of $100 to $200. IPS will not refund the surplus. The surplus will be used to cover deficit for some trips.

Office of Web Services