Weiguo (Bill) Yang
Electrical Engineering Program Director
Office Address: Belk 331
Ph.D., 1999, Electrical Engineering, Princeton University
M.A., 1997, Electrical Engineering with minor in Computer Engineering, Princeton University
M.S., 1995, Physics, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC)
B.S., 1992, Physics, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) After his Ph. D., Dr. Yang joined Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies Inc., in 1999, as Member of Technical Staff doing research in photonic networks, especially in advanced optical channel monitoring for SONET, monolithic active-passive integrated III-V photonic devices, and high-speed, low jitter, multi-spatial-mode passive mode-locked semiconductor lasers. Before joining Western in Fall 2007, he was a Principal Engineer, Lightwave Systems, Ciena Corp., leading research and development in fiber polarization mode dispersion (PMD). His current research interest focuses on low loss metamaterials and its applications to photonic and optoelectronic devices. He has published 25 journal papers and 33 conference papers and holds 9 U. S. patents awarded or pending.
Areas of Research Interest:
· Metamaterials and its applications in opto-electronic devices
o WCU Site Director, NSF I/UCRC Center for Metamaterials (CfM) (url link: http://www.centerformetamaterials.org/)
· Multi-spatial-mode semiconductor laser dynamics
· Optical communications systems and subsystems
Funded Research Proposals:
· “Active Metamaterials,” Sole PI, Center Project, NSF I/UCRC Center for Metamaterials, $35,000, May 2012 – May 2013.
· “Rapid Prototyping of Metamaterials II,” lead PI, Continued Center Project, NSF I/UCRC Center for Metamaterials, $30,000, May 2012 – May 2013.
· “Rapid Prototyping of Metamaterials I,” lead PI, NSF I/UCRC Center for Metamaterials, $40,000, May 2011 – May 2012.
· “Micro-Plasma Turbulence Velocimetry (uPTV),” Co-PI (40%), DoD STTR Phase I, $80,000, subcontract to WCU $32,880, September 2011 – March 2012.
· “Long-Range Synthetic Aperture Lidar for 2-D Spatial Resolution Higher than Optical Diffraction Limit and 3-D Mapping,” co-PI (33%), DoD SBIR Phase I, $80,000, subcontract to WCU $26,233, July 2011 – January 2012.
· “Optical Assembly of Far-Field Super-Resolution Imaging via Optical Gain,” WCU Faculty Research and Creative Activities Grant, $5,000, June 2010 – June 2011.
· “Fabrication of Optical Metamaterials Using Oxford Lasers DP100-5s”, WCU Kimmel School Rapid Center Fund, $5,000, January 2010 – January 2011.
· “NSF I/U CRC on Metamaterials: Planning Grant,” co-PI, in collaboration with UNC Charlotte, CUNY, and Clarkson University. $10,000, NSF, September 2009 – September 2010.
Recent Journal Publications (2006 - ;* denotes undergraduate students; ** denote graduate students):
· W. Yang, “Single Section Fabry-Perot Mode Locked Semiconductor Lasers,” Advances in OptoElectronics, vol. 2011, article ID 780373 (2011).
· M. Woldeyohannes, **J. O. Schenk, R. P. Ingel, *S. P. Rigdon, *M. Pate, J. D. Graham, M. Clare, W. Yang, and M. A. Fiddy, “Internal Field Distribution Measurement in 1-D Strongly Anisotropic Sub-Wavelength Periodic Structures of Finite Length,” Optical Express, vol. 19, pp. 81-92 (2011).
· *K. Sinchuk, *R. Dudley, J. D. Graham, M. Clare, M. Woldeyohannes, **J. O. Schenk, R. P. Ingel, W. Yang, and M. Fiddy, “Tunable Negative Group Index in Metamaterial Structures with Large Form Birefringence,” Optics Express, vol. 18, pp. 463-472 (2010).
· W. Yang, Y. Huang, R. D. Adams, J. Z. Zhang, and K. Burbank, “Computer-assisted teaching and learning of abstract photonics waveguide theory in undergraduate engineering technology program,” World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, vol. 8, pp. 145-149 (2010).
· W. Yang, A. Martin, R. D. Adams, J. Z. Zhang, and K. Burbank, “A case study on intentional learning in engineering and technology education,” World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, vol. 8, pp.61-66 (2010).
· Y. Huang, W. Yang, R. Adams, B. Howell, J. Z. Zhang, and K. Burbank, “Teaching electromagnetic fields with computer visualization”, International Journal of Modern Engineering, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 43-47, (2009).
· W. Yang, “An Analytic Approach to Random Phase Error and its Impact on the Performance and Design of Arrayed-Waveguide Gratings.” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, v.43, p.568 (2007)
· W. Yang, “Picosecond dynamics of semiconductor Fabry-Perot lasers: A simplified model.” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, v.13, p.1235 (2007)
· W. Yang, N. J. Sauer, P. G. Bernasconi, P. G., and L. Zhang, “Self-mode-locked single-section Fabry-Perot semiconductor lasers at 1.56 um.” Applied Optics, v.46, p.113 (2007)
· W. Yang, “Optical frame timing recovery in a time-multiplexed wavelength-division-multiplexing ring network.” Journal of Optical Networking, v.5, p.210-220 (2006)
· W. Yang, “Analytical Formula for Radio-Frequency Spectral Monitoring of the SONET Frame Alignment Header.” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, v.18, p.253 (2006)
· W. Yang, “Self-Start Mode-Locking by Multi-Spatial-Mode Active Waveguiding,” Optics Letters, v.31, p.2287 (2006).
· P. G. Bernasconi, L. Zhang, W. Yang, N. J. Sauer, L. L. Buhl, J. H. Sinsky, I. Kang, S. Chandrasekhar, and D. T. Neilson, “Monolithically Integrated 40-Gb/s Switchable Wavelength Converter.” Journal of Lightwave Technology, v.24, p.71 (2006)
Recent Conference Presentations (2008- ):
· W. Yang, J. Deaver, M. Woldeyohannes, M. A. Fiddy “Refraction of Evanescent Waves at an Air and Optically Pumped Ti:Sapphire Interface,” CLEO/QELS 2012, paper JW2A.113 (2012).
· W. Yang, “Bandwidth of principal states of polarization (PSP) and its impact on polarization mode dispersion (PMD) pulse broadening and mitigation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE SouthEastCon 2012 (2012).
· W. Yang and M. A. Fiddy, “Photonic Density of States in Hyperbolic Metamaterials with Finite Feature Sizes,” in Proceedings of the IEEE SouthEastCon 2012 (2012).
· W. Yang, J. Deaver, J. O. Schenk, M. A. Fiddy, “Optical Gain Assisted Far-Field Sub-Wavelength Imaging,” CLEO/QELS 2011, paper CThC6 (2011).
· W. Yang, “Direct Extraction of the Chirp Parameter and Higher Order Frequency Chirp of Ultrafast Pulses via Modulation-Based Mode-Locked Pulse Characterization,” in Proceedings of the IEEE SouthEastCon 2011, page 34-37 (2011).
· J. Deaver, W. Yang, and M. A. Fiddy, “Active Objective Lens Assembly for Far-Field Super-Resolution Imaging via Optical Gain,” in Proceedings of the IEEE SouthEastCon 2011, page 30-33 (2011).
· W. Yang, R. Adams, and A. Ball, “Incorporating LabVIEW® in Junior Electrical Engineering Labs,” 2011 ASEE Annual Conference, AC 2011-1234 (2011).
· S. P. Rigdon, M. Pate, W. Yang, J. D. Graham, M. Clare, M. Woldeyohannes, J. O. Schenk, R. P. Ingel, and M. A. Fiddy, “Internal field measurements of finite length 1-D form-birefringent periodic structures,” in CLEO/QELS 2010, paper CThS7 (2010).
· W. Yang, J. D. Graham, R. P. Ingel, and M. A. Fiddy, “Compensation of group delay with tunable slow/fast light form-birefringent metamaterial structures,” in CLEO/QELS 2010, paper QWF4 (2010).
· W. Yang, J. O. Schenk, and M. A. Fiddy, “Revisiting the perfect lens with loss,” in Proceedings of the IEEE SouthEastCon 2010, page 302-304 (2010).
· W. Yang, “Linewidth enhancement factor simplified,” in Proceedings of the IEEE SouthEastCon 2010, page 305-307 (2010).
· W. Yang, P. Sanger, and P. Gardner, “Teaching and Learning of Project Management for Engineering and Technology Capstone Research Projects,” 2010 ASEE Annual Conference, paper AC2010-596 (2010).
· W. Yang, and C. Dorrer, C., “Ultrafast Pulse Characterization of Semiconductor Single-Section Fabry-Parot Mode-Locked Lasers.” The Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics and The International Quantum Electronics Conference (CLEO/IQEC), paper CTuQ1 (2009)
· W. Yang, A. Martin, R. Adams, J. Zhang, and K. Burbank, “Intentional Learning in Core Engineering and Engineering Technology Education.” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, paper AC2009-2061 (2009)
· W. Yang, J. O. Schenk, and M. A. Fiddy, “Energy Velocity in Negative Group Index Structures.” Slow and Fast Light (SL) Topical Meeting, paper SWB5 (2008)
· J. O. Schenk, R. P. Ingel, M. A. Fiddy, and W. Yang, “Split Band Edge Structures and Negative Index.” Slow and Fast Light (SL) Topical Meeting, paper SMB6 (2008)
· W. Yang, “Modulation Property of Multi-Spatial-Mode Semiconductor Mode-Locked Lasers.” The Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics and The International Quantum Electronics Conference (CLEO/IQEC), paper JThA12 (2008)
· W. Yang, Y. Huang, R. Adams, J. Z. Zhang, and K. Burbank, “Effective Teaching of Photonics E&M Theory Using COMSOL(R),” ASEE 2008 paper AC 2008-1093 (2008)
· J. Z. Zhang, K. Burbank, B. Howell, W. Yang, Y. Huang, R. Adams, “Scholarship Reconsidered and Its Impact on Engineering and Technology Graduate Education,” ASEE 2008,paper AC 2008-553 (2008)