College of Education and Allied Professions

BK Distance Program FAQs

What is the Birth-Kindergarten Distance Learning Program?

The Department of Human Services offers a Bachelor of Science degree through the Birth Kindergarten Distance Learning Program. Birth Kindergarten Distance Learning courses are accessed through the Blackboard learning management system. All instructional activities such as lectures, group interactions, reading assignments, class projects, presentations, submission of assignments, e-mail exchange, test administration, and other course functions occur within the Blackboard environment.

To be a Distance Learning student, what type of computer should I have?

All Distance Learning students should follow WCU guidelines for computer specifications. In addition, all Distance Learning students should be able to perform common computer functions such as e-mailing, chat, discussion boards, browsing the Internet, zipping and unzipping files, downloading and uploading files, keyword searching, and be able to use Microsoft Office products including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.

Common distance learning pedagogies used in the Birth-Kindergarten Distance Learning Program include:

Chat Rooms – synchronous (at the same time) communication with others in the class 

Discussion Boards – asynchronous (not at the same time) communication with others in the class

Drop Boxes – electronic tool(s) for uploading and submitting written assignments and files 

Online Tests – self-administration of timed quizzes and exercises 

Email – communication between two or more members of the class

What are the eligibility requirements?

To be accepted into the Birth-Kindergarten Distance Learning Program, a prospective student must meet the application requirements of the University and:

  • Have an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree or an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree from an accredited community college;
  • Have an Associates of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree from an accredited community college; or
  • Have substantial progress toward the “44 General Core” courses that satisfy the General Education/Liberal Studies requirement for a North Carolina community college.

What are the general requirements for the Birth-Kindergarten degree?

A minimum of 120 semester hours are required. This requirement is comprised of:

Early Childhood Concentration
Liberal Studies (42 hours)
Birth-Kindergarten Core Courses (30 hours)
Early Childhood Concentration Courses (30 hours)
Guided Electives (15 hours)

Professional Education Concentration
Liberal Studies (42 hours)
Birth-Kindergarten Core Courses (30 hours)
Professional Education Concentration Courses (39 hours)
Guided Electives (9 hours
See Program of Study information for:

Can I transfer community college Birth-Kindergarten courses to WCU?

Yes, students can transfer 12 semester hours of community college courses into the Birth-Kindergarten degree. There are four courses that can be transferred into the program and include:

EDU 144 and 145 or (PSY 244 and 245) = BK 363
EDU 146 = BK 462
EDU 259 = BK 470
EDU 221 = SPED 240
EDU 234 = BK 366

Other courses taken at the community college will be used to satisfy elective courses needed for the major.

What Liberal Studies courses are required?

A list of the required Liberal Studies courses can be found at the following website

Students have the option of completing the 44 General Core requirement offered by the community college system in place of the WCU Liberal Studies requirement. The General Education requirements are somewhat different than those of WCU. Contact your transfer advisor at the community college for more information.

How is the Liberal Studies requirement different if I received an A.A. or an A.A.S. degree at the community college?

Pursuant to University of North Carolina System Policy, students who graduate from an accredited community college in North Carolina and who have earned either an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree will have fulfilled all Liberal Studies (general education) requirement at WCU.

Students who have earned a degree from an accredited institution located outside of North Carolina will undergo a course-by-course evaluation for transfer credits and may have to complete additional courses to fulfill the Liberal Studies requirement.

Students who possess an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree will undergo a course-by-course evaluation for transfer credits. In most cases, the student will be required to complete additional courses at a community college or through WCU to fulfill the Liberal Studies requirement.

Transfer students who have questions in regard to their previous college courses fulfilling WCU’s Liberal Studies or General Education Core requirements are urged to contact the University Advising Center.

Can I receive academic credit for years of service or other training I have completed?

No, WCU does not recognize years of services, training, certifications, or other continuing education units as being equivalent to academic courses at the university level. Transfer credit will only be awarded for courses offered by institutions of higher education that are accredited by nationally recognized, regional accredited organizations. Evaluation of academic transcripts is conducted by the Registrar’s Office, not the individual department.

How do I apply to WCU?

For Admissions information, visit

What is the tuition rate for distance learning courses?

Visit Distance Education Tuition and Fees

Who can I contact in the Department of Human Services about the Birth-Kindergarten Program for additional information?

If you have additional questions in regards to the Birth-Kindergarten Distance Learning Program, please e-mail Deb Henry at

Office of Web Services