Admission to the school
The Catamount School is designed for 6th, 7th and 8th grade students who live in Jackson
County. Our teaching approach is designed particularly to serve students who may not
be reaching their full academic potential in the traditional classroom.
As a lab school, we design innovative strategies to keep students fully engaged and
interested in learning. Only 25 students are accepted for each grade level annually.
Application window for 2017-2018 is now Closed
All rising 6th, 7th and 8th grade students who reside in Jackson County are eligible
to apply and attend The Catamount School. State guidelines provide admissions preference
to students currently attending a school defined by G.S. 115C-105.37 as a low-performing
school. Priority enrollment is given to students who did not meet expected grade level
growth in the prior year.
- Students intending to enroll in The Catamount School are required to meet certain
standards. Students must be eligible to be enrolled in the 6th, 7th, or 8th grade
in a Jackson County public school.
- Any child who is residing in Jackson County and is enrolled in a low-performing school,
as defined by G.S. 115C-105.37 at the time of the student's application, may be admitted
to The Catamount School.
- No student can be required to attend The Catamount School.
- During each period of enrollment, The Catamount School shall enroll an eligible student
who submits a timely application, with priority enrollment given in the order in which
applications are received to a student who did not meet expected student growth in
the prior school year based on any of the following: grades, observations, diagnostic
and formative assessments, state assessments, or other factors, including reading
on grade level.
- If the number of applications from other eligible students exceeds 75 with the goal
being no more than 25 in each grade level, those students shall be accepted by lot.
Once enrolled, students are not required to reapply in subsequent enrollment periods.
- Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, The Catamount School may refuse admission
to any student who has been expelled or suspended from a public school under G.S.
115C-390.5 through G.S. 115C-390.11 until the period of suspension or expulsion has
- Students’ applications must be submitted online or be postmarked on or before the
posted date for the upcoming school year, or have a postmark of that date, directly
prior to the school year. Eligible students who apply after the posted date will be
placed on a waiting list if the cap of 75 students has already been met. Students
on the waiting list will be notified if there is an opening. Applications for the
2018-2019 school year will be made available after Christmas. Details will be given
at a later time.