The Accelerated BSN (ABSN) is designed specifically for bachelor's prepared individuals
who want to pursue a career in nursing.
The curriculum for the ABSN option is the same as those for the Traditional BSN but is offered in four contiguous semesters (Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall), allowing students to complete the program in an accelerated time-frame. This curriculum format provides students the flexibility to work part-time, allows for greater financial aid opportunities, and provides an option at the beautiful WCU Biltmore Park campus in Asheville.
Applications for Fall 2018 entry will be due February 1, 2018.
Cohorts begin annually, each Fall (August) and graduate the following year during
the month of December.
Class schedules vary each semester but typically include classes two days per week and clinical one to two days per week.
Many of the clinical rotations are held in Buncombe County and the surrounding areas, but on occasion travel to more distant sites may be required to provide the optimal clinical experience.
Upon completion of the program of study, students will be eligible to sit for the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
ABSN Option applicants must meet the following admission requirements:
1. Graduate of an accredited college or university with an approved bachelor’s degree.
2. GPA: Pending final University approval, two GPA scores will be calculated, weighted 25% each:
- The first GPA will be based on the last 60 hours of academic credit (undergraduate
and/or graduate). A minimum of 3.0 is required for the last 60 hours.
- The second GPA will be based on the three completed science prerequisites required at the time of the application. If more than three science prerequisites are completed by the application deadline, the three highest scores will be used to determine the science GPA.
- If approval is not awarded during the application review process, the standing cumulative GPA requirement will be utilized and weighted at 50%. A cumulative GPA is calculated based on the entire undergraduate record. Graduate coursework is note considered as part of the cumulative GPA.
3. TEAS Admission Assessment Score. To learn more, visit theTEAS website.
4. Completed ABSN application (available in late 2017).
5. Completion of the following prerequisite courses or their approved equivalents with a grade of ‘C’ or above.*
6. Completion of three of the five science prerequisites by the application deadline.
All other prerequisites may be in-progress at the application deadline but must be
completed prior to matriculation. The five sciences that apply to this rule are indicated
with an (*) asterisk.
Students may elect to complete the course prerequisites at a community college or other university. Prior course equivalency approval is required for courses taken at another institution. Click here for more information about North Carolina Community College course equivalencies for the prerequisites.
Note - Admission to the ABSN Option is highly selective. Admission selection criteria for eligible applications will be based on:
In addition to applying to WCU, students must also submit an application for the ABSN Program.
The deadline for submission of the Fall 2018 applications is February 1, 2018. Here on the Fall 2018 ABSN Application link to download the application packet.
Application to the ABSN Option requires applying to both Western Carolina University and the School of Nursing:
Please review instructions in the packet well in advance of the deadline for application. Selection will be based on the applicant's qualifications, intellectual curiosity, communication skills, and potential for success in the ABSN Option. Meeting minimum requirements for admission does not guarantee acceptance into the ABSN Option.
Please submit completed application in a manila file folder titled: Last name, First name, ABSN Fall 2018.
The ABSN required courses are laid out in 4-semesters
The Director of Student Services conducts advising sessions monthly for students wanting more information about upcoming admission cycles. Topics that will be covered include general information about the program, admission requirements, prerequisites/transfer equivalencies, preparing for the TEAS exam, etc. Sessions are held at the WCU Programs at Biltmore Park location. You will receive directions and the room location upon confirmation of your reservation.
*January, 2018 Advising Sessions will be dedicated to answering questions specific to candidates applying for the February 1, 2018 application deadline. Program overview information will not be given, but time will be allocated to discuss individual questions related to the application.
Upcoming Advising Session dates include:
January 17, 2018*
January 24, 2018
February 13, 2018
March 14, 2018
April 17, 2018
Attending an advising session is required prior to requesting an individual advising appointment.
To make a reservation, please email email@example.com.
Include your name, the date you plan to attend, and your primary email address