"It's amazing and I wouldn't take it back for anything because now, as I'm entering
in the fall, I can do anything."
-- Bridget W, ASP Student
Western Carolina University offers the Academic Success Program (ASP) as an opportunity for students to begin their college experience early and to prepare them for success in college and beyond. This program is designed to provide a full year of support to facilitate a successful first-year experience and to help students develop skills to excel in their college career. It helps motivate them to set higher goals in school and in life and holds them accountable for demonstrating attitudes and behaviors that coincide with reaching their goals.
ASP is a conditional admission program in that students who are invited to participate MUST successfully complete a 5-week (June 27th - July 29th, 2022) intensive summer program. Students are enrolled in to seven credit hours of courses, all of which count toward graduation, and participate academic, social, and transitional support events, workshops, and seminars. The highly structured learning community environment is designed to guide and support students as they prepare for and transition in to their first college experience.
Check our Frequently Asked Questions page
Financial aid--including federal aid--may apply to ASP! Fill out your 2021-2022 FAFSA to receive consideration for financial aid.
“Keep doing what you are doing because I loved everything about it!”
“It was one of the best experiences ever!”
“y'all did excellent. Thanks so much…”
What was your most enjoyable experience in the Summer?
"The flexibility of a schedule and having a sense of freedom.”
"Meeting new friends that I will have in the fall"
"Going to hike a waterfall
"Meeting new people and learning new things with them."
"Going hiking and water rafting"
"making memories with new friends"
If you like numbers, check out some of our survey results concerning the Summer:
97% I am excited to return to WCU for the fall semester
94% I am confident in my ability to succeed academically at WCU
94% I will use academic skills presented during ASP during my career at WCU
94% My faculty engaged me in the learning process
95% I will use academic support resources available at WCU during my career at WCU
91% I had support from WCU faculty and staff during the ASP
85% said they developed meaningful relationships with their professors.
85% said they would recommend a friend attend a summer learning community (like ASP)
94% said at ASP, I learned about time management skills
88% At ASP, I learned about goal setting
91% At ASP, I learned about self-care tips; managing physical and mental health
Students take a freshman seminar, a liberal studies course, and a transition course. More in-depth information about the structure of ASP, including a typical schedule, can be found on our Summer Academic Structure page!
For more information, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact our office.
Please follow these easy steps:
1. Review the frequently asked questions page.
2. Complete and submit the 2022 ASP Participation Agreement.
3. Complete the Summer 2022 Activities Events Waiver Form in the same manner as above.
4. If you have disability accommodations from high school or a documented disability, please register with the Office of Accessibility Resources.
5. If you would like to apply for financial aid for the summer, please fill out the 2021-2022 FAFSA. You might have already filled out the 2022-2023 FAFSA for your fall enrollment which will apply to Fall 2022, Spring 2023, and Summer 2023.
6. Next, please refer to the Admitted Students site and follow the step by step instructions (if you have not done so already). You will log in to your Catamount Gateway account, the same account you used to apply to continue the process.