*COVID Update 4/17/2020*
Due to the spread of COVID-19, ASP 2020 is being moved to a FALL program. ASP admits will receive additional information via email on Friday, April 17th from
the Admissions and MAPS departments regarding the status of the Fall ASP program.
- The ASP agreement on this page has been updated. If you completed an ASP agreement
prior to Friday, April 17th you will need to complete a new agreement to reflect the
Fall admissions status.
- The May 1 deadline for deposits is still in effect. If you had previously paid a deposit
confirming your summer enrollment, that will be applied automatically to Fall. No
action is required on your part.
- There is no specific Learning Living Community requirement for Fall 2020 ASP admits.
Proceed with the regular steps for Fall housing.
- Note that ASP admission is still conditional. Read the revised ASP agreement very carefully prior to submission.
- Contact MAPS (email@example.com) with any questions.
Western Carolina University offers the Academic Success Program (ASP) as an opportunity
for students to begin their college experience early and to prepare them for success
in college and beyond. This program is designed to provide a full year of support
to facilitate a successful first-year experience and to help students develop skills
to excel in their college career. It helps motivate them to set higher goals in school
and in life and holds them accountable for demonstrating attitudes and behaviors that
coincide with reaching their goals.
ASP is a conditional admission program in that students who are invited to participate MUST successfully complete a 5-week (June 29th - July 31st) intensive summer program.
Students are enrolled in to seven credit hours of courses, all of which count toward
graduation, and participate academic, social, and transitional support events, workshops,
and seminars. The highly structured learning community environment is designed to
guide and support students as they prepare for and transition in to their first college
Financial aid--including federal aid--may apply to ASP! Fill out your 2019-2020 FAFSA
to receive consideration for financial aid.
Why a Summer in Cullowhee?
- Get a jump-start on your major, or earn liberal studies requirements
- Connect with other students and make friends
- Earn 7 credits toward graduation in just five weeks
- Receive individual support from the Writing and Learning Commons and Math Tutoring
- Be matched with a high-achieving peer mentor
- Learn the ins and outs of the university process during the slower-paced summer session
- Go on a field trip within your learning community: last year's trips included trips
to the Duke Energy Center, the Cherokee Heritage Museum, and a float down the French
- Build relationships with key faculty and staff members who will continue to support
you throughout your time at the University
- Enjoy the local community and adventure opportunities the mountains of Western North
Carolina provides during the summer
Students take a freshman seminar, a liberal studies course, and a transition course.
More in-depth information about the structure of ASP, including a typical schedule,
can be found on our Academic Structure page!
ASP 2020 dates
- Move in: Thursday, June 25th
- Orientation: Thursday, June 25th and Friday, June 26th
- First Day of Classes: Monday, June 29th
- Final Day of Classes: Friday, July 31st
- Closing Ceremony and Move-out: Saturday, August 1st
More information and FAQs
What Former ASP Students are Saying
Ready to Enroll?
Please follow these easy steps:
1. Review the frequently asked questions page.
2. Complete and submit the ASP Participation Agreement form.
- Scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (pictures from your mobile device will not work)
- Fax it to 828.227.7078
- Mail it to ASP Program - 205 Killian Annex - Western Carolina University - Cullowhee,
3. Complete the WCU Sponsored Activities and Events waiver in the same manner as above.
4. If you have disability accommodations from high school or a documented disability,
please register with the Office of Accessibility Resources.
5. If you would like to apply for financial aid for the summer, please fill out the 2019-20 FAFSA. You might have already filled out the 2020-21 FAFSA for your fall enrollment which
will apply to Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021.
6. Next, please refer to the Admitted Students site and follow the step by step instructions (if you have not done so already).
You will log in to your Catamount Gateway account, the same account you used to apply
to continue the process. Remember, your orientation is June 25-26.