Western Carolina University offers the Academic Success Program (ASP) as an opportunity
for students to begin their college experience early and to prepare them for success
in college and beyond. This program is designed to provide a full year of support
to facilitate a successful first-year experience and to help student develop skills
to excel in their college career. It helps motivate them to set higher goals in school
and in life and holds them accountable for demonstrating attitudes and behaviors that
coincide with reaching their goals.
ASP is a conditional admission program in that students who are invited to participate MUST successfully complete a 5-week
intensive summer program. Students are enrolled in to seven credit hours of courses,
all of which count toward graduation, and participate academic, social, and transitional
support events, workshops, and seminars. The highly structured learning community
environment is designed to guide and support students as they prepare for and transition
in to their first college experience.
Check out our ASP faculty and what they have to say about their summer courses!
ASP by the Numbers
- $64: Money saved per credit hour, summer vs. fall
- $448: money saved when enrolled in 7 summer credits
- $50,000: amount available in total stipends for qualifying students
- 54%: ASP 2017 students with Dean's List designation or better
- 84%: ASP 2017 students with 3.0 or better GPA
- 97%: ASP students who are more confident in their ability to succeed at WCU after their
- 3.14: average GPA for ASP students in 2017
Why a summer in Cullowhee?
- Get a jump-start on your major, or earn liberal studies requirements if undecided.
- Earn 7 credits toward graduation in just five weeks.
- Receive individual support from the Writing and Learning Commons and Math Tutoring
- Be matched with a high-achieving peer mentor.
- Learn the ins and outs of the university process during the slower-paced summer session.
- Be introduced to several out of the classroom student clubs and organizations such
as intramural sports, minority student organizations, and other leadership opportunities.
- Go on a field trip within your learning community: last year's trips included trips
to the Duke Energy Center, the Cherokee Heritage Museum, and a float down the French
- Connect with other students and build relationships with key faculty and staff members
who will continue to support you throughout your time at the University.
- Academic incentives and awards as well as other motivational techniques.
- Enjoy the local community and adventure opportunities the mountains of Western North
Carolina provides during the summer.
- View the academic structure
What Former ASP Students are Saying
ASP 2018 Dates
- Move-in: Thursday, June 21*
- Orientation: Thursday, June 21 and Friday, June 22
- ASP Orientation: Saturday, June 23
- First Day of Classes: Monday, June 25
- Final Day of Classes: Friday, July 27
- Closing Session and Move-out: Saturday, July 28
- Fall Classes Begin: Monday, August 20
*Note: Early Arrival is available on the evening of Wednesday June 20 for an additional
ASP Residence Hall
ASP students will be housed in Reynolds Hall.
Ready to Enroll?
Please follow these easy steps:
1. Review the frequently asked questions page.
2. Complete and submit the ASP Participation Agreement form.
- Scan and email it to email@example.com (pictures from your mobile device will not work)
- Fax it to 828.227.7078
- Mail it to ASP Program - 205 Killian Annex - Western Carolina University - Cullowhee,
3. Complete the WCU Sponsored Activities and Events waiver in the same manner as above.
4. If you have disability accommodations from high school or a documented disability,
please register with the Office of Accessibility Resources.
5. If you would like to apply for financial aid for the summer, please fill out the 2017-18 FAFSA. You might have already filled out the 2018-19 FAFSA for your fall enrollment which
will apply to Fall 2018, Spring 2019, and Summer 2019.
6. Next, please refer to the Admitted Students site and follow the step by step instructions (if you have not done so already).
You will log in to your Catamount Gateway account, the same account you used to apply
to continue the process. Remember, your Orientation date will be June 21-22, 2018.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for commonly asked questions.