Western Carolina University offers the Academic Success Program (ASP) as an opportunity
for students to begin their college experience early and to prepare them for success
in college and beyond. This program is designed to provide a full year of support
to facilitate a successful first-year experience and to help students develop skills
to excel in their college career. It helps motivate them to set higher goals in school
and in life and holds them accountable for demonstrating attitudes and behaviors that
coincide with reaching their goals.
ASP is a conditional admission program in that students who are invited to participate MUST successfully complete a 5-week (June 20-July 27) intensive summer program. Students
are enrolled in to seven credit hours of courses, all of which count toward graduation,
and participate academic, social, and transitional support events, workshops, and
seminars. The highly structured learning community environment is designed to guide
and support students as they prepare for and transition in to their first college
Financial aid--including federal aid--may apply to ASP! Fill out your 2018-2019 FAFSA
to receive consideration for financial aid.
Why a Summer in Cullowhee?
- Get a jump-start on your major, or earn liberal studies requirements.
- Connect with other students and make friends.
- Earn 7 credits toward graduation in just five weeks.
- Receive individual support from the Writing and Learning Commons and Math Tutoring
- Be matched with a high-achieving peer mentor.
- Learn the ins and outs of the university process during the slower-paced summer session.
- Go on a field trip within your learning community: last year's trips included trips
to the Duke Energy Center, the Cherokee Heritage Museum, and a float down the French
- Build relationships with key faculty and staff members who will continue to support
you throughout your time at the University.
- Enjoy the local community and adventure opportunities the mountains of Western North
Carolina provides during the summer.
Students take a freshman seminar, a liberal studies course, and a transition course.
More in-depth information about the structure of ASP, including a typical schedule,
can be found on our Academic Structure page!
ASP 2019 dates
- Move-in: Thursday, June 20*
- Orientation: Thursday, June 20 and Friday, June 21
- ASP Orientation: Saturday, June 22
- First Day of Classes: Monday, June 24
- Final Day of Classes: Friday, July 26
- Closing Session and Move-out: Saturday, July 27
- Fall Classes Begin: Monday, August 19
*Note: Early Arrival is available on the evening of Wednesday June 19 for an additional
More information and FAQs
What Former ASP Students are Saying
Ready to Enroll?
Please follow these easy steps:
1. Review the frequently asked questions page.
2. Complete and submit the ASP Participation Agreement form.
- Scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (pictures from your mobile device will not work)
- Fax it to 828.227.7078
- Mail it to ASP Program - 205 Killian Annex - Western Carolina University - Cullowhee,
3. Complete the WCU Sponsored Activities and Events waiver in the same manner as above.
4. If you have disability accommodations from high school or a documented disability,
please register with the Office of Accessibility Resources.
5. If you would like to apply for financial aid for the summer, please fill out the 2018-19 FAFSA. You might have already filled out the 2019-20 FAFSA for your fall enrollment which
will apply to Fall 2019, Spring 2020, and Summer 2020.
6. Next, please refer to the Admitted Students site and follow the step by step instructions (if you have not done so already).
You will log in to your Catamount Gateway account, the same account you used to apply
to continue the process. Remember, your Orientation date will be June 20-21, 2019.