Appealing your Suspension or Dismissal:
The Appeals Form will open for students after final grades are submitted for the semester.
Your online appeal form and all supporting documentation MUST be received by the published deadline to guarantee its consideration by the Academic
Appeals Review Board.
How to submit your appeal:
- Complete the online Appeals form (available after final grades are submitted), answering
all questions and attaching documentation to the online form. Save a copy of your
appeal submission for your records. Students who expect to be suspended after the
current semester can prepare their responses ahead of time. The appeals form asks
at least two questions:
- What led to your academic difficulties?
- Explain your plan to rectify your academic challenges.
- If your academic difficulties were a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you will be
asked to explain the specific circumstances caused by the pandemic and how they impacted
your academic performance.
- Attach documentation to the form to support all statements you make about reasons
for your appeal or extenuating circumstances. Without a written answer to each question
AND supporting documentation, the Appeals Review Board cannot make a decision on your
- All appeals must include supporting documentation. If you make a statement on your
appeal, also provide supporting documentation for that statement. If in doubt, provide
- Examples of documentation to support statements in your written appeal:
- Letter from physician/medical provider/mental health provider or copy of official
diagnosis, treatment, and dates that you were ill or hospitalized, documenting your
ability to return to school
- Legal documentation, police reports, etc.
- Recommendation letters from your professors, counselors, or advisors
- Pay stubs or proof of employment
- Copy of death certificate or obituary
- Other documentation to support the written statements on your appeal (this is not
a comprehensive list of possible documentation)
The Academic Appeals Review Board will meet to review appeals. The Board will notify
students of the decision of the Board by Catamount email. Results of an appeal cannot
be given to anyone but the student who submitted the appeal. The decision of the Appeals Review Board is final.
If you have any questions about the appeals process above, please contact the Office
of Student Retention. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-227-7171 (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm).