A club sport is a student organization that is formed and led by WCU students who
have a love and passion for their sport or activity, and may be looking for an opportunity
to participate on a longer term (usually both semesters). A club sport may contain
recreational, instructional, and socialization components, but must be competitive
in nature. All clubs are a part of national governing bodies/leagues and compete against
other universities across the state and region. We currently have 20 active club sports
varying from Ballroom Dance to Men's and Women's Rugby with over 500 club sport athletes.
Don't see your sport listed? Ask about starting a club sport!
Participation in our club sports program is a valuable part of student development
and can greatly enhance a student's college experience. We encourage all levels of
skill and support equal opportunity to any student regardless their race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability,
genetic information, or veteran status.
Being a Club Sport Athlete at WCU has many benefits, all of which will help you improve
your college experience.
- Build lifelong friendships - Meet other students who are interested in the same activities as you.
- Represent your school - Get a chance to wear WCU jerseys and uniforms to represent us at other college
- Stay competitive - Compete in the sport for which you've been training and playing for years.
- Try something new - Participate in a new sport or activity that you've been interested in, but haven't
had the chance to join before attending WCU.
- De-stress and relax - Take a break from your daily grind to do something fun and active. Clear your mind
of stressors during practices and competitions, so you can recharge.
All club sport participants are required to have an IMLeagues account before they
participate. Participants will be required to enter their WCU username and password
before being logged into IMLeagues. After the first time logging in, you will log-in
with your WCU credentials every time.
- Go to recconnect.wcu.edu and log in using your WCU credentials.
- Click Create Account.
- Enter your information. You must use your WCU email account and submit. Students (@catamount.wcu.edu);
Faculty/Staff (@wcu.edu or @email.wcu.edu)
- Click the activation link in your email to login and activate your WCU IMLeagues account.
- Click on Club Sports and the current active club sports will be displayed.
- You can join a club sport one of two ways:
- Officers can invite members to their club sport by clicking the "Invite Members" link
on the team page. Any invited members may accept the invitation to be joined to your
team. If they've already registered on IMLeagues: search for their name, and invite them.
If they haven't yet registered on IMLeagues: scroll down to the "Invite by Email Address"
box, and input their email address.
- To join a team, accept a request from the captain to join the club or click on the
club sport you wish to join and then click on the green Register/Signup button.
- All participants must fill out the Assumption of Risk/Release, Emergency Contact Information,
and Club Sport Code of Conduct before participating with a club sport.
IMLeagues offers a live support button in the bottom right corner of all page. Please use this button if you encounter any
Club Sports and Presidents
Ballroom Dance - Maxwell Byron & Dara Sanderson (Club Twitter, Instagram, Email: email@example.com)
Bass Fishing - Austin Cole (Club Facebook, Instagram)
Cheer - Alex Lutz & Alexa Benaquista (Club Facebook, Instagram)
Climbing - Judah Bollinger (Club Instagram)
Cycling - Dylan DiSarro (Club Facebook, Instagram)
Equestrian - Grace Law
Men's Baseball - Robert Clarke (Club Twitter, website)
Men's Flag Football - Alexei Strouse
Men's Lacrosse - Thomson Hand
Men's Rugby - Josh Pollock (Club Facebook)
Men's Soccer - Brandon Gross
Men's Volleyball - Tommy Criss
Quidditch - Tray Greene
Tennis - Oliver Adcox
Ultimate Frisbee - Will Mangum (Club Facebook)
Women's Basketball - Taylor Clark (Club Twitter, Instagram)
Women's Lacrosse - Katherine Henriques (Club Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
Women's Rugby - Brooklynn Herold (Club Facebook, Instagram)
Women's Soccer - Sarah Powell (Club Facebook)
Women's Volleyball - Martha Holt (Club Facebook)
Wrestling - James Haworth
The Club Sport Program reviews new club sport requests to determine if there is sufficient
student interest and resources to support the activity. Students who wish to create
a club must decide whether they wish to be competitive in nature.
If you wish to start a competitive club sport, you will need to speak with Associate
Director for Intramural and Club Sports. Factors to take into consideration when forming
a new club sport:
- Gaining student interest,
- Club leadership (President, Vice President, Treasurer),
- Start-up costs,
- Practice locations,
- Competition opponents,
- Governing bodies,
Students looking to start a new club sport need to complete and submit the following
documents to the Associate Director for Intramural and Club Sports:
- New Club Sport Application and Renewal Form
- New Club Petition Form (minimum signatures of 150% of a sport's starting lineup, or
15 signatures for non-lineup specific sports)
- Club Constitution & Bylaws (see WCU Orgysnc club pages for constitution examples)
- Projected Budget Form
- Supplemental Questions Form
- Register as a Recognized Student Organization on WCU Engage
Once all documents are completed, please set up a meeting with the Associate Director for Intramural and Club Sports. Notify and submit all documents by Friday, April 12th, 2019, for acceptance in the
Fall 2019 semester.
Club Sports depend on the generosity of family, friends, faculty/staff, businesses,
and alumni. Your financial support assists clubs with annual operating costs such
as coaching services, registration fees, equipment, travel, uniforms and apparel.
Donors have the option to donate directly to a specific club. Here are a few ways
one can support our program and club sport teams.
Ways to Help
- Make check payable to WCU Campus Recreation and Wellness, write the specific club
sport name on the check (ex. Women's Club Volleyball), and mail to WCU Campus Recreation
and Wellness, 379 Memorial Drive, Cullowhee, NC 28723, or give it directly to a club
- Donate “gifts-in-kind” in the form of essential equipment, materials, or other items.
If you are interested in donating equipment or other materials, please contact the Associate Director for Intramural and Club Sports.
Note: Monetary donations to a club sport are not tax deductible donations. "Gift-in-kind"
donations may be considered tax deductible.