The WCU Public Policy Institute aims to empower the Western North Carolina region to effectively manage real policy problems by mobilizing students, community leaders, faculty, and citizens to discuss and develop viable policy options to create more effective policies.
Some of our recent PPI projects include:
- the LoGoS (Local Government Survey), an annual survey of all municipal and county governments in North Carolina on an issue of relevance in the field;
- the WNC Food Policy Council, a network of more than 200 food producers and food security agencies in the seven western counties of North Carolina;
- county-wide surveys for Haywood County, NC, concerning public library usage and land use planning
- election debates held on the campus of Western Carolina University
- the North Carolina Nonprofits Survey, an annual survey of nonprofits in the state on an issue of relevance in the field; and
- preparation for the educational events and seminars which we host on campus in the fall and spring semesters.