Each year the university awards named scholarships, made possible through the generosity
of hundreds of individuals and organizations. View a complete list of endowed named scholarships offering crucial support to WCU students.
Scholarship funds fall into two general categories:
- Endowed scholarship funds - Endowed scholarships are WCU's number one philanthropic priority and can be established
with a single payment or can be built with payments over a period of five years to
reach the minimum endowment level of $25,000. Once fully vested, the fund will pay
an annual distribution in perpetuity that will be used as the scholarship award.
- Annual scholarship funds - An annual scholarship fund provides an award to a current student for an academic
year with no long-term investment of money used to establish the fund.
In addition to the type of scholarship, donors may choose criteria for the award including
academic merit, degree program or college, demonstrated leadership, participation
in student activities, athletics, financial need, or any combination of preferences.
learn more about establishing an endowment
Lifecycle of an Endowed Scholarship
- A scholarship is established through documentation of a gift agreement in partnership
with the Office of Development.
- Prior to the fund's first valuation, donors can make an outright gift in the name
of the fund to begin awarding their scholarship immediately. If the donor intends
to make a gift to support a student during the following academic year, the donor
must notify the director of donor relations by August 31. The gift should be received
by the WCU Foundation no later than February 1.
- Students apply for scholarships through the university scholarship portal, available
through MyWCU. The application period generally runs from October through January
- Once an award is made, the student will be notified and a thank you note will be requested
by the director of university scholarships.
- Awards made during WCU's fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) will be reflected in the fund's
annual report mailed in fall/winter.
Meet Your WCU Scholars
WCU invites scholarship donors and representatives every year (usually in the fall)
to the Madison Society Recognition and Scholarship Luncheon to have an opportunity
to meet their scholarship recipients and connect over lunch.