Leave Policies for University Employees Subject to the State Human Resources Act
Formerly Executive Memorandum 85-73
Initially approved December 15, 1982
Revised: September 15, 1985
Revised: January 8, 2001
Revised: December 12, 2016
Policy Topic: Personnel
Administering Office: Human Resources
I. POLICY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Western Carolina University (the “University”) to comply with the policies of the State Office of Human Resources regarding leave
for employees subject to the State Human Resources Act (“SHRA”).
II. IMPLEMENTING PROCEDURES
A. Vacation Leave
- Vacation leave can be used to cover absences from work for personal reasons and tardiness.
Employees may also use vacation leave for personal and family illness.
- Vacation leave is earned at a rate prescribed by the State Human Resources Commission
that is based on an employee's years of service.
- Vacation leave may be taken in increments of 15 minutes or quarter increments or more.
B. Sick Leave
- University employees may request sick leave for illness in the immediate family as
well as for personal illness. Sick leave may also be used, in the event of a death
in the immediate family. Immediate family is defined as spouse, parents, children,
brothers, sisters, grandparents, and grandchildren (including step-, half-, adoptive,
and in-law relationships) and other dependents living in the household.
- Full-time SHRA employees earn one working day (8 hours) of sick leave per month and
a total of ninety-six (96) hours per calendar year. Part-time employees who are .5
FTE or greater earn sick leave on a pro-rated basis.
- Sick leave may be taken in increments of 15 minutes or quarter increments or more.
III. POLICY REVIEW
This policy shall be reviewed and revised as necessary in the event that the North
Carolina Office of State Human Resources revises its leave policies that are applicable
to SHRA employees.
IV. RELATED POLICIES AND RESOURCES
General information regarding leave, including vacation and sick leave, is available
at the Office of Human Resources and Payroll web page: https://www.wcu.edu/about-wcu/campus-services-and-operations/human-resources-and-payroll/general-hr-resources/leave-and-timesheets.asp:
Detailed information on leave policies for State employees is maintained in the University
Office of Human Resources.