Skip to main content

Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment Applicants

Students who wish to enroll in college courses at WCU while concurrently enrolled in high school (dual enrollment) must be strong academically, must meet all pre-requisite courses for any WCU they wish to take and must demonstrate the maturity to handle the rigor of college coursework.

Because high school dual-enrollment students are not being admitted for the purpose of completing a degree at WCU, some policies and procedures differ for dual enrollment students as compared with first-year or transfer students. (All non-degree students who wish to be considered for degree-seeking status must submit the appropriate new application for admission as well as all required supporting documentation.) Some of the differences include:

  • Classification as a non-degree seeking student (as opposed to a first-year or transfer student)
  • Exemption from orientation
  • Ineligibility for merit awards or financial aid through WCU
  • Ineligibility to reside on campus unless participating in a special camp or program that includes a residential living component
  • Mandatory semester-by-semester approval to continue at WCU as a dual-enrollment student
  • Ineligibility for an evaluation of credits earned elsewhere or a degree audit
  • Ineligibility for assignment of an academic adviser
  • Special approval of work attempted at WCU
  • Lower priority for access to registration and course selection (subject to availability after those opportunities have been opened to degree-seeking students)

Keep in mind that performance grades earned in college are posted on college transcripts. Those records will be required by colleges when you make application as a degree-seeking student, and poor performance could negatively impact admissibility, credit assessment and scholarship eligibility.

Although dual-enrollment students are not seeking a degree at WCU, WCU requires much of the documentation that a degree-seeking student would have to submit plus additional documentation. The minimum amount of information that a dual-enrollment student must submit, by application deadlines, includes the following:

Accurately and completely fill out the appropriate application for admission.

  • Dual-enrollment students should complete the undergraduate non-degree seeking student application (type of student is “non-degree”)
  • Current program, space and resource limitations preclude dual-enrollment students from enrolling in distance or online courses without special permission or unless the student is participating in a special program that is coordinated through Educational Outreach.

This $65 nonrefundable processing fee is required for consideration as a dual enrollment student.

Signed consent by a parent or legal guardian is required. The letter should include the applicant’s full name, the full printed name and signature of the parent or legal guardian, the date, expressed permission for the applicant to enroll in courses at WCU, and the term for which the applicant desires to take courses.

Approval by the high school principal or other designated school official (i.e., assistant principal or school counselor) is required. The consent must specify the WCU course(s) that the student is approved to take and address the student’s academic and social aptitude for successful college performance.

An official high school transcript is required, and the applicant should have excelled academically as compared with his or her classmates as measured by strength of schedule, grades and class rank.

Official test scores are required, and should be competitive.

Dual Enrollment Admitted Students

Dual-enrollment students who are offered admission will receive an acceptance letter, an information sheet and a checklist to aid in the enrollment process. The applicability of some of the information will depend on the dual-enrollment student’s specific plans or needs (i.e., number of courses, location or instructional mode of courses, timing of courses, special needs, etc.). Some of the next steps after gaining admission may include:

North Carolina state law requires anyone entering college to present a certificate of immunization documenting compliance with all required immunizations. The statute applies to all students except:

  • Students taking all evening classes
  • Students taking classes that meet off campus
  • Students taking no more than four day-credit hours in on-campus courses
  • Students taking weekend classes only

WCU is committed to equality of educational opportunities for qualified students with documented disabilities.

All new and returning, degree-seeking undergraduate students are required to have a computer. The computer requirement includes a software and hardware component. Given this requirement, the faculty incorporates the use of technology within the curriculum. As a non-degree seeking student, you will be immersed in classes that necessitate access to the same hardware and software as degree-seeking students.

Depending on your specific situation, you may participate in the book rental program at WCU and/or you may have to purchase your textbooks (i.e., supplemental and laboratory books as well as books for online, distance learning and some specific undergraduate majors must be purchased). Once you have been admitted and are registered for classes, contact the University Bookstore for more information.

Non-degree seeking students, particularly those taking courses on campus, may find the acquisition of a CatCard to be a necessity or a convenience. The CatCard may be used as an identification card, access card (i.e., to specific facilities and events), debit card for on-campus purchases, library card, meal card, discount card and more.

Non-degree seeking students may register via the Web. Registration dates will be posted on the Registrar’s Office website. The academic calendar, catalog, course descriptions, schedules of classes and much more are available through that site as well.

Non-degree seeking students who will attend class on campus or visit campus routinely, particularly on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., should obtain a parking permit.

Students may pay by check, money order, cashier’s check or credit card.Student Accounts can assist with information regarding payment deadlines, procedures and questions.

    Office of Web Services