Distance Student Complaint Procedures

Student Complaints/Concerns about Delivery of Distance Education

If you are participating in a Western Carolina University online program or course, and you have a complaint or concern about your experiences with WCU other than your final grade, you are encouraged to first contact the Program Director for the program or course. If your concerns are still unresolved, you are encouraged to follow WCU’s process for filing a complaint or concern.

If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting Western Carolina University's procedure described above, the student may file a complaint with the following agencies:

1. North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints, c/o Student Complaints, University of North Carolina General Administration, 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688 Telephone (919) 962-4550 studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu. You may also contact UNC General Administration to NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaints for further details.

Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form (PDF). Please submit the complaint to the address above.

2. Regional Accreditor (SACSCOC), SACSCOC Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, Student Complaints, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 Telephone 404.679.4500 If a student has evidence that an institution is in significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form.

3. Students not residing in North Carolina and enrolled in a North Carolina institution that operates under SARA North Carolina may submit complaints to NCSEAA only after completing the complaint process established by the institution attended by the student. We direct you to SARA-North Carolina and to the Complaint Process page.
SARANC Complaint Form

SARA North Carolina -- North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA),
P.O. Box 14103, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, T: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
T: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667, Website: www.saranc.org, Email: information@saranc.org

4. If you are residing outside of North Carolina while attending Western Carolina University, and you are not in a state that has joined SARA, you may file a complaint in the state where you are residing. As required by federal regulations, we direct you to our list of state agencies for filing complaints.

Office of Web Services