The Student Who Is Anxious
Symptoms of anxiety include:
- Irrational Fears
- Fear of losing control
- Excessive worry
- Sleep or eating problems
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Talk to the student in private.
- Remain calm and take the lead in a soothing manner.
- Focus on relevant information, speaking clearly and concisely.
- Help the student develop an action plan that addresses his or her main concerns.
- Refer the student to Counseling and Psychological Services (828.227.7469). See Referring a Student for Professional Help for more details.
- Overwhelming the student with information or complicated solutions.
- Arguing with student’s irrational thoughts.
- Devaluing the information presented.
- Assuming the student will get over the anxiety without treatment.