Residential FAQs for Current Students

Is on-campus housing available at WCU? 
Campus housing is available and guaranteed for all freshmen. Freshman students at WCU will be required to live on-campus for two academic years. We also guarantee housing for transfer students who are entering with less than 30 credit hours or are under 21 years of age by August 1 for the fall entry; or December 1 for the spring entry. Housing is available to upperclass students on a space available basis.

How can I receive more information about Residential Living at Western? 
A wealth of information is contained right here on our website, so take some time reading through it. You can also read more about each of the specific residence halls.  If you should have other questions or need further information, feel free to email us at: or call us at: 828-227-7303. Our office is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm and we are most happy to answer your questions.

Am I required to live on campus? 
First-year students at WCU are required to live on campus for two academic years (four fall or spring semesters) and new transfer students for one academic year (two fall or spring semesters). Attendance during the mini-mester, Summer School, and the Academic Success Program do not apply toward the fulfillment of this requirement. For purposes of this requirement, a first year student is defined as: any incoming student classified by Western Carolina University's Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a freshman, or any student who will not be 21 years of age by August 1 for the fall entry, or are under 21 years of age by December 1 for the spring entry, and who is registered for a course load of 6 credit hours or more. This definition includes entering freshman class students. AP College credit or Dual Enrollment credits do not apply toward the fulfillment of this requirement.

Transfer students with fewer than 30 hours of credit and falling within the age and course load requirements listed above will also be considered first year students and subject to this policy. AP College credit or Dual Enrollment credits do not apply toward the fulfillment of this requirement.  This requirement may be waived if the student is married or lives with parents or legal guardians in Jackson County or any county contiguous to Jackson County provided he/she completes a “Residency Exemption Form” and submits it to the Room Assignments Coordinator in the Department of Residential Living.  Freshmen are required to live on campus at Western Carolina University. The residency requirement may be waived if the student is married or lives with parents or legal guardians in Jackson County or any county contiguous to Jackson County provided he/she completes a “Residency Exemption Form” and submits it to the Department of Residential Living.  Current students who have met the freshman requirement are not required to reside on campus. More information on this requirement can be found in Policy #96

Do I have to be a full-time student to live on campus? 
No, there is no minimum number of enrolled hours required for you to live in the residence halls. Keep in mind, however, that living in the residence halls is intended to encourage your academic success. All residence hall policies must be observed at all times.

How and when do I select my room for next year?
Room selection takes place online through our Residential Management System. You will receive complete instructions for selecting your room and roommate early in the spring semester each year. Before you are able to select your room, you must have paid your $150 non-refundable housing deposit, completed the Residence Hall Agreement (also available online) and returned it to the Residential Living office in Scott Hall.

How can I cancel my Residence Hall Agreement? 
Please keep in mind that if you are a freshman, you are required to live on campus (see Policy #96).  If you are not considered a freshman under Policy #96, and you wish to cancel your Residence Hall Agreement, you must do so in writing prior to June 1 if you are entering in the fall, and December 1 if you are entering in the spring. 

How is my room assignment made? 
Room assignments are made via our automated system. Our room assignments coordinator makes every attempt to meet the requests of all residents. Assignment priority is determined by the date on which the non-refundable housing deposit is received by OneStop. If you request to live with a particular person, we will make every effort to honor this request provided we have also received a request by the preferred roommate. Both students wishing to room together must submit mutual requests and each person must indicate a preference for the other through our online system.

When and how will I receive my room assignment? 
Room assignments for the fall semester are made in mid to late July, and for the spring semester they are made in mid to late December. All room assignments will be sent to your Catamount email address.

When will I check in to my residence hall room? 
All students for the spring semester are allowed to check in on Friday, January 9, 2015. If you need any help your residence hall staff will be readily available to assist you. 

Who is in charge of my residence hall? 
The Resident Director (RD) has responsibility for the operation of his/her area of buildings. Each RD is a full-time professional staff person with a master’s degree in counseling, human services, or related area.  The RD lives in one of the buildings for which he/she has responsibility. His or her responsibilities include counseling/advising residents, supervising staff, administering the disciplinary process for in-hall behavior problems, coordinating residence hall programs and activities, promoting community and leadership development, and administering paperwork and reports.

Who is in charge of the floor where I will live? 
Each floor has a Resident Assistant (RA). RAs are upperclass residents who have been through a thorough selection process and an intensive training program. The RA is responsible for developing a community environment among the residents on the floor; providing opportunities for interaction among the residents through programs and activities; being a peer counselor/advisor; and monitoring and reporting behavior problems to the Resident Director. The primary responsibility of the RA is to assist you.

Is there a way for me to evaluate my RA or RD? 
Each year we provide an online link for residents to evaluate, not only our personnel, but our programs and facilities as well. We highly encourage you to participate so that we can continue to improve the residential experience for all our residents.

What furnishings and amenities are available in the residence hall?
The residence life program at WCU offers many opportunities to residents for personal growth and development through various recreational, social, educational, cultural, developmental, and community service activities. In addition, you may take advantage of many other services offered in the residence hall. Each residence hall room is furnished with two loftable or bunkable beds (all beds are extra-long standard size), two desks and desk chairs, two drawer sets and closets, desk lights, overhead lights, window blinds, two Ethernet ports with high-speed Internet connection. Digital cable TV is also provided. Located in each residence hall are laundry facilities which operate using CatCard or cash; snack and drink vending machines; study lounges; and public area lounges, equipped with wireless Internet. Read more about each of the residence halls.

Am I allowed to decorate my room? 
We encourage you to personalize you room. You may bring small end tables, shelves, television, refrigerator (of no more than 4.6 cubic feet or 5 amps), microwave oven, plants, pillows, rugs/carpet, and wastepaper baskets. You are not permitted to paint your room. 

What should I bring to the residence hall? 
You will need to bring all your bed and bath linens, toiletry items, your computer, and study items. Other items you might want to consider bringing include: alarm clock; bathrobe; shower bucket; free-standing bookshelf; camera; can opener; a carpet or rug; cleaning supplies; decorative items; fan; flashlight; hangers; iron/ironing board; laundry basket and detergent; mattress pad; microwave (800 watts maximum); plants; refrigerator (5 amps or less); sewing kit; surge protectors/power strips; telephone; television; umbrella, and a waste basket.

What items are not allowed in the residence halls? 
Items which are not permitted in the residence halls include:

• air conditioners;
• amplifiers;
• aquariums (larger than 10 gallons);
• archery equipment;
• ceiling fans;
• cooking appliances with open coils (toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates, coffee makers, hot plate, George Foreman grills,etc.);
• darts;
• duct tape;
• electric blankets;
• electrical items that are not U.L. approved;
• explosives or combustible substances (including gasoline, kerosene, etc.);
• fireworks;
• halogen or incandescent lights / lamps;
• indoor grill or broiler;
• kegs, party balls, funnels, bongs, and other drug paraphernalia;
• paper lanterns;
• pets (other than fish);
• power tools;
• refrigerators larger than 4.6 cubic feet or > 5 amps;
• smoke/fog machines;
• space heaters (electric, ceramic or kerosene);
• toy weapons (guns, knives, etc.) that could be mistaken for real;
• waterbeds;
• weapons (including, but not limited to: knives, BB guns, air/gas pistols or rifles, firearms of any type, pressurized guns, paint ball guns, stun-guns or martial arts weapons, ammunition);
• weights for body building or other large exercise equipment. 

This list is not all-inclusive. If you have questions, please contact the Department of Residential Living at: or via phone at: 828-227-7303.

Where will I get my mail? 
U.S. Mail is collected and distributed to the Student Mail Center Monday through Friday, and delivered to each resident's mailbox before 3 p.m. The Mail Center is located on the second floor of Hinds University Center. To ensure that your mail reaches you as quickly as possible, make sure that your correspondents have your correct address as indicated:

Your Name
Western Carolina University
245 Memorial Drive
Suite ________
Cullowhee, NC 28723

If any part of your address is wrong, your mail will take longer to reach you.

May I have guests visit me in my room? 
Yes, your guests are welcome to visit you in the residence hall. Guests of the opposite gender are allowed to visit you Sunday-Thursday from 12:00 noon until 12:00 midnight. On Friday and Saturday, the visitation hours are from 12:00 noon until 2:00 a.m. You must escort any guest of the opposite gender at all times. He or she must use restroom facilities designated for their gender. Public restroom facilities are located in the main lobby of each residence hall. Violation of this policy will result in loss of visitation privileges.

Is the campus a safe place to live? 
In Residential Living, we take your safety very seriously. 

Since residence halls are public buildings that serve as private residences for a large number of students, security is an important concern. All exterior doors remain locked at all times. Electronic access is provided for residents of each building. You are encouraged to always carry your CatCard and room key with you, and to always lock your door when you leave your room. You must also take responsibility for the safety and security of the community by assisting with keeping doors locked at all times and never propping doors.

Smoke detectors are located in public areas and fire alarm pull stations on every wing of each residence hall floor. Fire drills are conducted the first of each semester. Your residence hall staff has been trained to assist you with evacuation procedures. AS A SAFETY PRECAUTION, BURNING CANDLES AND INCENSE (or any open flame), OR ANY OPEN-COILED COOKING APPLIANCES ARE NOT PERMITTED IN THE RESIDENCE HALLS. As an added safety measure, all residence halls have sprinkler systems.

Your residence hall staff will conduct various safety programs in the residence halls related to theft prevention, self-defense, rape awareness, fire safety, and others. Emergency call boxes are located at the main entrance of each residence hall. University Police Officers patrol the campus and are only a phone call away. They are available to assist you if and when the need arises.  For further information regarding campus safety and security, please visit the University Police website.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services