CAPS Appointments & Services

There are important questions that you need to know the answer to before visiting Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to receive the best care possible.

What services are available?
CAPS offers the following services to students:

Who are the counselors?
We represent the fields of psychology, counseling, social work, and psychiatry. We train interns in counseling, clinical psychology, and related counseling programs. 

How do I schedule an appointment?
You asked for it & WHEE listened!  "NEW"
CAPS WheeCU Now walk-in clinic EXPANDED hours are Monday-Friday 10:30 a.m - 12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m. -  2:30 p.m. (**must arrive early in order to complete the paperwork) in the spring and fall semesters. First come, first serve basis so come as early as you want.  Sessions can fill quickly.  

Students, NOT currently established with a CAPS mental health professional, can use the walk-in clinic. Walk-in services is a brief individual session during which students can discuss their needs and clinicians will facilitate entry into appropriate services. Walk-in services are on a first come first serve basis.

Students can also call CAPS (828-227-7469) to schedule an initial consultation appointment with the first available clinician or a clinician of their choice if unable to come during walk-in hours. Students are asked to come 15 minutes prior to the appointment time to complete the paperwork (if you do not arrive early as requested your appointment may be rescheduled).

We ask that you only schedule appointments that you are confident that you will keep. If you are unable to keep an appointment, please call CAPS preferably within 48 hours in advance so that we may make that time slot available to another student.  Repeated rescheduling, arriving more than 15 minutes late, and/or cancelling of appointments with (or without) advance notice may result in the loss of eligibility for services.

Will I be charged to attend counseling sessions?
Students are not charged for counseling sessions, the fee is included in their Student Health fees. Students utilizing psychiatric services will be charged by their healthcare provider.

Where do I go after hours or for an emergency?
A Counselor-on-Call is available 24 hours a day during the academic year. After office hours and weekends call (828) 227-8911 to access the Counselor-on-Call. This is the Communication Center Switchboard affiliated with University Police. Ask to speak to the Counselor-on-Call.

Western North Carolina 24 Hour Mobile Crisis Line: 1 (888) 315-2880


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services