The A.K. Hinds University Center opened in 1968 and was renovated in 1997. An additional 34,000 square feet was completed in January 2004. The mission of the University Center is to provide a dynamic and accommodating environment to enhance student learning through a variety of activities, programs, and services.
The facility features a food court, administrative offices, student program board offices, Student Government Association offices, a 170 seat theater, 140 seat multipurpose room, a Grand Room, five smaller meeting rooms, lounges, and the student mail center. It also houses the Office of Leadership and Student Involvement which includes the Fraternity and Sorority Life office and office spaces for student organizations. Intercultural Affairs is also housed in the facility.
Each year the University Center hosts nearly 5,000 events including a variety of conferences, student programs and activities. Approximately 4,000 people visit the University Center each day during the academic year. Users include students, faculty, staff, campus visitors, prospective students, families, and alumni.
The University Center staff strives to accommodate the special needs of all users. At the time of renovation and construction the A.K. Hinds University Center met or exceeded ADA requirements.
- Accessible parking is available at each of the entrances to the building.
- Power-assisted doors are available at main entrances to the building on all three floors.
- Accessible restrooms are located on each floor.
- An elevator provides access to each level of the facility.
- An accessible lift is available to provide access to the projection booth in the theater.
- Listening assistance is available in the theater.
- Wheelchair accessible spaces are available in the front row of the theater.
- A ramp provides access to the stage in the theater.
The University Center staff continually evaluates the needs of our patrons and seeks to provide reasonable accommodations to all its users.
If you need assistance while visiting the University Center, please contact 828-227-7206.