Return to Cherokee Phoenix homepage Return to Hunter Library homepage Return to WCU homepage
Cherokee Phoenix logo


Cherokee Phoenix and Indians' Advocate
Vol. 1 No. 51
Wednesday, March 4, 1829
Pg. 1 Col. 5b

 Cherokee lands- We copy from the Journal of this place, what purports to be a synopsis of the testimony lately collected in relation to the ancient boundary between the Creeks and Cherokees. It is designed to prove that Georgia, being deceived as to the exact amount of territory owned by the former, has not received her just measure.- In other words; that the northern boundary of their late session was not, by some hundred thousand acres, run off as high up the Chattahoochy as, by the articles of treaty, it should have been.  to the evidence adduced by the agent, Col. Wales, in confirmation of this opinion,we are able to add something of our own.  While traversing that country as one of the engineers in the service of the state, in 1826, we were personally assured by its people that the true dividing line, running westward between the Creeks and Cherokees was considerably north of our route which was direct from Gates Ferry in Gwinnett County, to the Missionary stand on the Etawah; which latter place, according to an observation taken, en passant, is in latitude 33 deg. 28 minutes.  Our informant's expressed considerable disappointment and rejoicing, that they, who conceived themselves within Creek limits had been set off to the Cherokees.  they had felt much inquietude from an apprehension that their nation, the Creeks, would ere long be compelled to relinquish all their lands to Georgia,in which event they must needs abandon their dwellings and their homes; but were gratified to learn that they had in the issue been left in the quiet possession of both far within the Cherokee Nation.

       Statesman and Pat.