"My brother had been here before I applied. He strongly recommended it for me because the teachers here were so friendly. They know that you are not a native speaker and they have a lot of ways to help improve your language.
Without the IEP I would not be speaking English right now. This means a lot to me, and I will never forget who was there for me in my classes.The teachers [...] they spent a lot of time with us and they were so patient."
Questions? Contact Us.
109 Cordelia Camp
69 East University Way
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723
We choose YOU!
Congratulations on your acceptance to the WCU Intensive English Program!
- Activate your WCU student email account
- How to pay for the Intensive English Program
- Student Housing Options
- Immunizations and Health Insurance
- What you should bring to campus
- What you should bring to the airport
- Tell us your arrival information. We need this to pick you up from the Asheville Airport
- When you should arrive at the Asheville, North Carolina (AVL) airport.
All students at WCU have a special e-mail address that looks like this email@example.com. This e-mail is very important. This is the only e-mail address that WCU offices
and the Intensive English Program will use to contact you.
Activation information was sent to the e-mail on your IEP application. Follow these instructions and claim your official student e-mail! Have questions? Contact us and we will help you.
All money is due when you arrive on campus. Bring your scholarship letter, a credit card (Mastercard / Visa), OR a cashier’s check (made out to WCU, drawn on a US bank) with you on the plane. You will need this when you arrive on campus. No refunds are issued following registration.
If you have a scholarship letter, it must be valid for Western Carolina University
and it must expire on one of the dates below.
Summer 2017 Expiration Date: August 4, 2017 or later
Fall 2017 Expiration Date: December 15 or later
Spring 2018 Expiration Date: May 11, 2018 or later
Cost for Summer 2017 (8 weeks from June 5-August 2):
|Academic Program and Fees||3817|
|Housing||2272 - 2388|
|Health Insurance (Student Only) *||263|
|Total estimated cost per 8-week semester (subject to change)||USD 6602 - 6718|
Costs for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 (per semester):
|Academic Program and Fees||5694|
|Housing||3913 - 5418|
|Health Insurance (Student Only)*||438|
|Total estimated cost per 15-week semester (subject to change)||USD 10295- 11800|
There will be no refunds following registration.
* rate based on 2016-2017 numbers. email firstname.lastname@example.org for student + family health insurance
There are three types of housing available for IEP students - on campus, homestay,
and off campus.
Students under 21 years old - While a student in the IEP, you may choose to live off campus. If you are under 21 when you complete the IEP, however, you must follow WCU policy. WCU requires students under 21 years of age to live in residence halls on campus.
North Carolina state law requires anyone entering college to present a certificate of immunization that shows all required immunizations.
Students with Translated Immunization Records - These forms must be officially translated into English. You can use the blank immunization form attached to this e-mail. You can e-mail your records to email@example.com or bring them with you to the airport. WCU Student Health Services will review your records and let you know if they meet the requirements. All requirements are listed here.
Students without Translated Immunization Records - You will be required to receive immunizations from WCU Health Services after you arrive. The cost of these shots will be billed to your student account.
Students attending Western Carolina University are required to have medical insurance. Students will be AUTOMATICALLY SIGNED UP for health insurance each semester by the WCU IEP if proof of insurance is not provided by the first day of classes.
If you already have international insurance that is valid in the United States, you can e-mail proof of insurance to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it with you on the plane.
If you are a SACM scholarship student, you need to send a copy of your current scholarship letter to email@example.com as proof of insurance.
If you do not have international health insurance you will be required to buy insurance. You can buy HTH insurance through the WCU IEP Office after you arrive. For information about cost, please check the information for your IEP program. For questions about HTH insurance, or for information about student + family health insurance options, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cash or Credit Card (not pre-paid) - USD $250-$300 or Visa/MasterCard. This is money you can spend until you set up a bank account. Please do not bring traveler's checks, pre-paid credit cards, or non-USD currency.
- Personal electronics - laptop, camera, plug/voltage adaptor
- Cell phone - a pre-paid cell phone or Verizon SIM card may be purchased in the USA
- Season appropriate clothing items
Fall and Spring Semester: light jacket, winter coat + gloves/scarf, clothing for cold and warm weather, walking shoes, boots
Summer Semester: clothing for hot weather, wide brimmed hat, sandals, walking shoes
- Makeup or toiletry items not sold in the USA - most toiletries and personal care items can be purchased after you arrive
- Sheets and blankets for a single or twin bed (99 cm x 190 cm) - most students choose to buy bedding and pillows post-arrival.
You must have these things with you at the airport in your home country:
- I-20 signed (you must have this document with you at all times)
- Letter of acceptance to the Intensive English Program
- Letter of conditional acceptance to Western Carolina University (if you have one)
- Airline ticket
- Payment for the IEP program (cashier's check, cash in USD, credit card, or scholarship letter)
Tell us your arrival information
Follow the appropriate "Share your arrival information with us" link below.
Read the information carefully and complete the form with your flight information.
Make an airline reservation to fly into the Asheville Airport (AVL) in North Carolina. The transportation cost on designated arrival days is included as part of your program fees IF YOU NOTIFY US IN ADVANCE. This is very important!!!