If you are looking for an item, be it a book, an article, or other library materials, please first try the ABC Express service. It is local and much faster.
If the item you are looking for is unavailable via ABC Express because none of the three universities' libraries own it or the item has been checked out, you may come to us, Loan Shark.
Loan Shark uses both the UNC Library Express (all 17 UNC system schools) and the nationwide interlibrary loan service to get you the item you are looking for. As a user, you need to have an account with ILL through a one-time registration.
- On the Hunter Library home page, enter the title of the item you are searching for.
- On the right side of the next page, you can select the “Refine” option to find out which of the three UNC schools your item is located at.
- Once you have selected the item, click “Check for Availability” under the item title. This tells you if it is an E-Book, print, or both.
- Beneath this information, the exact locations, call numbers, and status, and whether or not there are holds on the book will appear.
Searching for an Item
- On the UNC Library Express home page
- In the drop-box to the right of the search engine, select which type of key word you would like to search for
- Enter key word(s) into search engine
- Click “Submit”
- Scan through results to find the library nearest to you that has the item you are looking for.
- Click on the item
- Items not available from ABC or UNC Express can be requested on Interlibrary Loan/ Loan Shark.
Requesting the Item
- Click the "Request UNC Item" button on the WorldCat record
- Beneath “Select Your Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery Department,” select “WCU ILL Request Loan Shark - Book Request (WCU Only)”
- Login to Loan Shark and select “submit request”
- Log in to your Loan Shark account
- Under “New Request,” select which type of item you are looking for.
- Fill in as much of the information on the form as you can.
- Click “Submit Request” at the bottom of the page.
- If your item is not available through ILL, contact Hunter Library to get help with a more extensive search.