New Hire Information

Welcome to Western Carolina University!



As a new employee, you are required to complete various forms, such as a Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) and a Direct Deposit Enrollment form.  Per State and Federal regulations, we are required to have compliance paperwork completed prior to your first day of work. 

For your convenience, we have a list of the required documents below.  If you have questions, please call Human Resources at (828) 227-7218.

We recommend you take a few moments to review, print and complete as many of these forms as possible to expedite your hiring process.  If you are going to be in the Cullowhee area prior to your start date, please call or send Human Resources an e-mail, and we will be happy to set up an appointment for you to come in and complete all of the paperwork in person!  If you are not going to be in the area prior to your first day of work and need to complete the compliance paperwork from a distance, please refer to our "Offsite New Hire Instructions".  

One of the documents that law requires be completed before you can start working is the I-9.   It can be a bit confusing, so please know that the Human Resources office is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm to assist you or your notary with its completion.  Our phone number is (828) 227-7218; and anyone in our office will be happy to walk you through the process.

You will see that the I-9 requires Human Resources (or your notary) to examine specific documents and attest to the authenticity of the documents to verify your identity and work eligibility.  We (or your notary) will need to make copies of the documents used to support the I-9 and attach them to the completed form.  If you plan to complete the I-9 offsite, please have your Notary fill out and notarize "Section 2" as well as the "Certification" section after you have completed "Section 1."

For benefits, retirement and tax purposes, we also need a copy of your social security card.

Local Information.

*Student employees should contact either the Center for Career and Professional DevelopmentFinancial Aid or the Graduate School office for assistance.

Office of Web Services