When reviewing applications, we look at the whole student, including past academic
record, test scores, and other achievements. Before applying, be sure to review WCU’s
admission requirements and contact us with questions.
Graduate School Admission Requirements
Admission to any graduate program at WCU requires admission to the Graduate School. Graduate students are required to have access to technology that meets the University computer requirements.
- Degree Requirements: Applicants for admission to the Graduate School are expected to hold a bachelor’s-level degree from a regionally accredited college or university by the time they begin their program of study. Certain programs may require specific degrees or coursework as a requirement for admission (see Program Admission Requirements for individual programs). An applicant may be required to take additional coursework as either co-requisites or pre-requisites to strengthen or supplement the undergraduate background.
- GPA Requirement: To qualify for Regular Admission, a student must have earned an overall grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of undergraduate work OR 2.85 on a 4.0 scale cumulatively.
- Transcripts: At the time of application, all degree-seeking applicants must submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Applicants who have not yet completed their undergraduate degree may be offered regular or conditional admission. Failure to produce the proper credentials (final official transcript verifying conferral of a baccalaureate-level degree) during the first semester of admission will result in a withdrawal of the offer of admission, withdrawal from all current classes, a registration hold being placed upon the student’s record, and forfeiture of tuition and fees (see Fees, Expenses, Financial Aid – Refund Policies)
International Applicant Requirements
All International Applicants requesting a new Visa or requesting a change in Visa
For Fall Semester Admission: Fall term begins in August and concludes in December
JUNE 15: Date by which notification of visa approval must be received by WCU IPS for students with offer for Graduate Assistantship and/or Out-of-State Tuition remission
AUGUST 5: Date by which notification of visa approval must be received by WCU for all other students
For Spring Semester Admission: Spring term begins in January and concludes in May
NOVEMBER 15: Date by which notification of visa approval must be received by WCU IPS for students with offer for Graduate Assistantship and/or Out-of-State Tuition remission
JANUARY 3: Date by which notification of visa approval must be received by WCU for all other students
IMPORTANT!! - it may take up to 11 months for applicants to receive Visa approval.
We recommend these application timelines to meet the admission deadlines
At WCU, we welcome students with diverse educational backgrounds. We've designed our application process with the goal of evaluating your academic achievements in context.
Required application materials include:
- Transcripts. International applicants must have their transcripts and full course descriptions translated into English and evaluated by a recognized credential evaluation service. A document-level transcript evaluation verifying baccalaureate-level degree must be submitted to the Graduate School directly from an approved agency for foreign transcripts displaying a satisfactory academic record. Some programs may require a course-by-course level evaluation. Check with your program for specific requirements. Some applicants may be required to take undergraduate courses to build competency in the field.
- Standardized Tests. GRE, GMAT, or other standardized test results (check your academic program for specific requirements).
- Language Proficiency . Official scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required for applicants from countries where English is not the primary language. A minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (Internet-based) is required on the TOEFL. A minimum overall band score of 6.5 is required on the IELTS, with a minimum band score of 6 on each of the four modules.This requirement will be waived for applicants who successfully complete WCU's Intensive English Program (IEP).
Additional Departmental Requirements
Some graduate programs require applicants to submit supplemental material as part of the online application process. Please familiarize yourself with any additional requirements of your program prior to completing the online application.
Please refer to the current Graduate Catalog for additional information on admission requirements and policies.