An active member is one whose application has been approved by the Membership Committee and the individual has paid national and chapter dues for the current year. Membership is open to students, current and retired WCU faculty and staff who meet the qualifications listed below. Applications will be considered by the Membership Committee and qualifying nominees will be sent a letter of acceptance.
- Undergraduates: Junior or Senior status and a 3.0 minimum GPA.
- Graduates: A minimum of a 3.5 GPA. Graduate international student applicants would be expected to establish the requisite G.P.A. after at least one semester in residence at WCU with a suggested minimum of six (6) credit hours of graduate courses.
- Undergraduates and graduates: Participation in international activities. For international students this means enrollment in study at Western Carolina University. For U.S. students, this means participation in a study abroad program or significant overseas experiences, participation in significant activities in the U.S. with an international focus, or participation in significant academic or co-curricular activities at Western Carolina University with an international focus. Attach a 1-2 page resume highlighting examples of how you meet the criteria of international experience.
[Note: Exchange students at WCU for only 1 semester may be nominated for a temporary associate/affiliate member status as a recognition of outstanding scholarship or international activity, with the opportunity to join active membership if the student decides to pursue further studies at WCU and meets other membership criteria. Associate members are not inducted through ceremony and do not pay dues.]
Current or Retired Western Faculty and Staff Qualifications
- Demonstrated interest in international scholarly activities through current and/or past involvement in significant international endeavors abroad or in the U.S. (e.g., teaching, research, educational exchange, program development, service to international scholars, activities through community, government or non-governmental organizations).
- Interest/involvement in international activities may be supported by evidence of foreign language experience; foreign travel, study, or work; a major or minor program possessing an international focus; community service exhibiting an international or cross-cultural content. Attach a 1-2 page resume highlighting examples of how you meet the criteria of international experience.
New member annual dues & installation fees for the first year only (which includes a medallion, membership certificate, and national and local dues) are $60.
Continuing member annual dues are $35 (national dues of $15 and local dues of $20).
PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO "PHI BETA DELTA DELTA ZETA CHAPTER" AND SUBMIT WITH YOUR APPLICATION FORM. If some reason is found to make you ineligible, your check will be returned to you.
Application/Nomination Form (Word)
Return application form to:
International Programs & Services
109 Camp Building
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723
Applicants who meet qualifications will be notified by mail of their acceptance.