IPS Mission Statement
The mission of the office of International Programs and Services is to enable the WCU community to connect and engage with the region, state and the world by promoting internationalization for the benefit of all university members. International Programs and Services promotes the well-being of the university’s international community; sponsors, manages and facilitates various types of international academic programs and connections, such as study abroad, internships and service learning abroad as well as faculty research and exchanges; plans and coordinates campus and regional international events; recruits, increases and diversifies WCU’s international student population; and assists the university in internationalizing the WCU campus.
To achieve these goals, the office provides the following services:
- Identify and collaborate with foreign institutions to develop new linkages for faculty, staff and students to pursue study, research and internship opportunities;
- Work with WCU departments and colleges in internationalizing their curriculums and academic experiences for their students and faculty;
- Recruit study abroad and international students through various marketing strategies;
- Assist visiting scholars and students to obtain necessary visas, as well as petition for employer sponsored visas for tenure-track faculty;
- Advise and orient study abroad students, international students, visiting scholars and international faculty;
- Sponsor and coordinate yearly international events for campus and regional communities;
- Advise international organizations such as GlobeCATS and the Phi Beta Delta Honor Society for International Scholars;
- Support international outreach to public schools, WCU campus, and community clubs and organizations; Work with campus offices on Avian Flu, Export Control and visa compliance, etc.;
- Organize and facilitate WCU delegations to existing and prospective partners;
- Provide English as a second language training;
- Host visits by international scholars delegations to the WCU campus.