"Cold Mountain" author Charles Frazier meets with Honors students in the Reynolds
The Interdisciplinary Studies degree (B.A. or B.S.) allows students to combine elements
of several majors, or to customize the curriculum to create a major that is tailored
to his or her individual needs and goals. For example, one student combined courses
in professional writing, computer science, graphic arts, and computer information
systems to create a B.S. special studies degree in "Computer Communication." The Interdisciplinary
Studies option works for many students, including pre-professional students; however,
it is not applicable to specially accredited programs such as education or nursing.
- All Interdisciplinary Studies students must complete the Liberal Studies Program. For the B.A., students must complete the modern foreign language requirement for WCU B.A. programs.
- Read more about the Special Studies Program in Degree & Program Requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog.
"Fast Track" Approval
Since 2004, Honors students have had the option to get “fast track” approval for Interdisciplinary Studies degrees. Interdisciplinary Studies Honors students may complete Honors requirements and graduate with The Honors College diploma.
To gain approval for an Interdisciplinary Studies degree, the Honors student must:
1. Begin the process by consulting with a primary advisor (check with Honors Dean to determine who this will be).
2. Work with the primary advisor to create an Interdisciplinary Studies degree proposal, which will include the completed Interdisciplinary Studies Program Form for Honors Students (PDF) with all required signatures; a list of all courses needed to reach 120-128 total hours for the degree (including Liberal Studies); and a one-page statement from the student that explains how the proposed Interdisciplinary Studies degree will meet that student’s post-graduate professional plans (career or graduate school).
3. Once the Interdisciplinary Studies degree is approved, the student must follow the plan and all courses required in order to graduate.
Download the Interdisciplinary Studies Program Form (PDF)