Since the early 1980s, the MPA has prepared nearly 350 students for careers in public service. Our alumni network is strong and supportive of our program. Several alums serve on our MPA Advisory Board which helps our students and program with professional development, career and internship placement, recruiting and financial resources. Graduates of Western Carolina University’s MPA program are working at the executive level in city and county management, community development, natural resources administration, legal defense, law enforcement administration, municipal government administration, and corporate management.
Graduates have held such positions as:
- Leslie Anderson, Leslie Anderson Consulting, Asheville, N.C.
- Paige Roberson, town manager, Sylva, N.C.
- Cory M. Blankenship, treasurer of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation
- Jeff Greene, professor of political science, University of Montana, Missoula
- Sheila Hoyle, executive director, Southwestern Child Development Commission, Webster, N.C.
- Joel Mashburn, retired county manager, Iredell County, Statesville, N.C.
- David McNeill, emergency management coordinator, Transylvania County, Brevard, N.C.
- Laura Jeffords, executive director of the Mediation Center, Asheville, N.C.
- Brenda Mills, director of administrative services, City of Asheville, N.C.
- William Annarino, retired chief of police, City of Asheville, N.C.
- Craig Honeycutt, county manager, Alamance County, N.C.
- Kevin Grant, unit chief Federal Bureau of Investigation, Clarksburg, W.Va.
- Laura Foor, foreign trade zone administrator, Charlotte Regional Partnership, Charlotte, N.C.
Resources for Student and Alumni Job Searches: