The WCU Beta Student Chapter of the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCCTM) has scheduled the following presentations for the fall semester. The talks are sponsored by the Student Affiliate. The Chapter invites any student who is preparing to teach mathematics and all other interested students regardless of major to attend the sessions.
Please join us in Stillwell 424 for refreshments starting at 3:10 p.m., prior to each talk!
- Date: Wednesday, February 20th, 2013, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Room: Killian 108.
- Presentation by: Dr. Nathan Borchelt, WCU Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education.
- Title: Using Interavtice Boards in Mathematics Classrooms.
- Abstract: Dr. Borchelt will explore various ways that a Smart Board can be used to advance mathematics
learning in K-12 mathematics classrooms. Features, applications, and accessories of
the boards will be examined.
- Date: Wednesday, February 6th, 2013, 3:35-4:30 p.m.
- Room: Stillwell 244.
- Presentation by: Professor Holly Pinter, WCU Visiting Assistant Professor of Teaching and Learning.
- Title: Examing Mathematics Instruction: Critical Ingedients of High Quality Mathematics Teaching.
- Abstract: What does good teaching look like? What does good math teaching look like? How are these different? This session will explore some research proven aspects of mathematics instruction that are critical to highly functioning classrooms. Aspects such as task selection, discourse practices, representation use, and mathematical coherence will be explored through theoretical discussions as well as hands-on experiences. Findings from some current research will be presented regarding some instructional moves that are key ingredients to quality mathematics instruction.
The above talks will be geared towards topics in the learning and teaching of mathematics or and thus should be valuable to anyone who is preparing for a teaching career. We encourage you to take advantage of these presentations by planning to attend. Feel free to bring a friend.