More than half the students at Western Carolina University receive some type of financial aid including: scholarships or grants which do not have to be repaid; loans, usually long-term and low interest, to be repaid after the student leaves college; and employment, often in work related to the student's field of study.
The federal work-study program has provided many biology majors with part-time jobs while giving them laboratory and/or field research experience.
Both teaching and research assistantships are available for graduate students.
Scholarships for Biology Majors
Within the biology department, the following scholarships are available each year to continuing undergraduate biology majors:
- Ramsey Family Scholarship ($2200)
- Anastasia ‘Stacy’ O’Connell Research Scholarship ($1200 + $500 for research support)
- Biology Department Scholarship ($1000)
- Rice Family Scholarship ($1000)
- J. Gerald Eller Scholarship ($500)
- Mountain Counties of North Carolina Biology Scholarship ($500)
How To Apply
Complete the application form linked here. Adobe Reader or a PDF editor is required. We recommend that you download the form to your computer rather than completing it in your browser because some browsers are not configured to properly run the application form.
Please contact Dr. Greg Adkison if you have questions about a scholarship after reading its description.