Department of Biology
Office Address: Natural Science Building 132
- Ph.D., Botany, Rutgers University, 1985
- M.S., Botany, Rutgers University, 1979
- B.S., Botany, University of Kentucky, 1977
- BIOL 304: “General Ecology”
- BIOL 433/533: “Ecological Co-Adaptations”
- BIOL 436/536: “Physiological and Ecosystem Ecology”
- BIOL 437/537: “Community and Landscape Dynamics”
- Wilfahrt, P.A., B. Collins, and P.S. White. In press. Shifts in functional traits among tree communities across succession in eastern deciduous forests. Forest Ecology and Management, accepted January 2014.
- Mathews, K. and B. Collins. In press. Plant and pollinator communities of high elevation rock outcrop communities. Natural Areas Journal, accepted June, 2013.
- Greenberg, C., B. Collins, and F. R. Thompson. 2011. Sustaining young forest communities – Ecology and management of early successional habitat in the US central hardwood region. Springer
- Griep, M. T. and B. Collins. 2011. Chapter 14, Wildlife and forest communities. In: D. Wear and J. Greis (eds) Southern Forest Futures Assessment. USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station.
- Pittillo, J. Dan and Beverly Collins. 2010. Flowering phenology: trends over 32 years in a common garden. Southeastern Naturalist 9(4):837-846
- Collins, B. and S. Foré*. 2009 Genetic and demographic structure within a large population of Echinacea laevigata (Asteraceae). Journal of Torrey Botanical Society 136:445-456.
- Collins, B., T. M. Schuler, W.M. Ford, and D.Hawkins. 2010. Stand dynamics of relict red spruce in the Alarka creek headwaters. In: Rentch, James S.; Schuler, Thomas M. Proceedings from the conference on the ecology and management of high-elevation forests in the central and southern Appalachian Mountains. 2009 May 14-15; Slatyfork, WV. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-64. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 242 p..
- Walker, A. N.*, S. A. Foré*, and B. Collins. 2009. Spatial and Temporal Structure of Trillium maculatum Raf. (Lilliaceae): inferences about seed dispersal. Botany: 87(3): 223–23
- Kwit, C.* and B. Collins. 2008. Native Grasses as a Management Alternative on Vegetated Closure Caps. Environmental Management 41:929-936.
- Collins, B. and L. Battaglia. 2008. Oak regeneration in southeastern bottomland hardwood forest. Forest Ecology and Management 255:3036-3054.
- Schnurr, J.* and B. Collins. 2007. Influences on oak and pine establishment with time-since-fire in sandhills longleaf pine forests. Southeastern Naturalist 6:523-534.
- Dilustro, J., B. Collins and L. Duncan. 2006. Land use history effects in mixed pine hardwood forests at Fort Benning. Journal of Torrey Botanical Society 133:460-467.
- Battaglia, L. and B. Collins. 2006. Linking hydroperiod and vegetation response in Carolina Bay wetlands. Plant Ecology 184: 173-185.
- Collins, B., P. Minchin, J. Dilustro, and L. Duncan. 2006. Land use effects on groundlayer composition and regeneration of mixed pine hardwood forests in the Fall Line Sandhills, S.E. USA Forest Ecology and Management 226: 181-188.
- Collins, B., R. Sharitz, K. Madden, and J. Dilustro. 2006. Comparison of sandhills and mixed pine hardwood communities at Fort Benning, Georgia. Southeastern Naturalist 5:92-102.
- Holladay, C.-A., C. Kwit, and B. Collins. 2006. Woody regeneration in and around aging southern bottomland hardwood forest gaps: effects of herbivory and gap size. Forest Ecology and Management 223:218-225.
- Lejeunesse, S. J. J. Dilustro, R. R. Sharitz, and B. S. Collins. 2006. Ground layer carbon and nitrogen cycling and legume nitrogen inputs in a frequently burned mixed pine forest. American Journal of Botany 93: 84-93.
- Collins, B. S., R. R. Sharitz, and D. P. Coughlin. 2005. Elemental composition of native wetland plants in constructed mesocosm treatment wetlands. Bioresource Technology 96:937-948.
- Dilustro, J.J., B. Collins, L. Duncan, and C. Crawford. 2005. Moisture and soil texture effects on soil CO2 efflux components in southeastern mixed pine forests. Forest Ecology and Management 204:85-95.
- Collins, B., J. V. McArthur, and R. Sharitz. 2004. Plant effects on microbial assemblages and remediation of acidic coal pile runoff in mesocosm treatment wetlands. Ecological Engineering 23:107-115
- Battaglia, L. B. Collins, and R. Sharitz. 2004. Do regeneration strategies of bottomland hardwoods predict field distributions? Forest Ecology and Management 198:15-30.
- Battaglia, L., B. Collins, and P. Weisenhorn. 2004. Regeneration in bottomland forests: recruitment and persistence of Quercus michauxii in and around aging canopy gaps. Can. J. For. Res. 34:1359-1364
- Collins, B. (2006) Multiple land use effects on upland forest vegetation of a heterogeneous military site. EPA Ecotoxicology Conference, 23-27 April, Cincinnati.
- Collins, B. (May 2005). Land use effects on plant community dynamics at Fort Benning, GA. Eastern Kentucky University.
- Collins, B. (18 April, 2005) Fire and tanks: Land use effects on upland mixed pine forest vegetation at Fort Benning. Columbus State University.
- Collins, B., Rebecca R. Sharitz, Kathryn Madden, and John Dilustro (August, 2005) Comparison of sandhills and mixed pine hardwood communities at Fort Benning, Georgia. ESA Annual Meeting, Montreal, CA.
- Collins, B., J. Dilustro, and L. Duncan (November 2005) Land management and military use effects on the ground layer of upland forests at Fort Benning. SERDP Symposium.
- Collins, B. (January 2004) Fire and Tanks: Land use effects on vegetation and nitrogen cycling at Fort Benning. Drexel University.
- Dilustro, J., B. Collins, and L. Duncan (November 2004) Soil nitrogen availability in mixed pine forests of varying management, military use and soil texture. Soil Science Society of America meeting.
- Collins, B. and L. Battaglia (April 2004) Regeneration strategies in bottomland hardwood forests. ASB meeting, Memphis, TN.
- McLeod, K. W., B. S. Collins, and B. P. Jackson (June 2004) Impact of fly ash deposition on a bottomland/swamp forest plant community. SWS.
- Dilustro, J., B. Collins, L. Duncan, and C. Crawford (August 2004) Soil respiration, microbial biomass, and fine root production in forests of varying soil texture. ESA meeting, Portland, OR.