Department of Anthropology and Sociology
Assistant Professor - Sociology
Office: McKee 102A
Mailing Address: Department of Anthropology & Sociology
101 McKee Hall
Cullowhee, NC 28723
WCU Courses Taught: Social Problems, Medical Sociology, Feminist & Gender Theory, Deviant Social Behavior, Queer Sociology, Human Society, Sociology Through Film
- Ph.D., M.A., Vanderbilt University, Department of Sociology
- Graduate Certificate in Gender Studies, Vanderbilt University
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Asheville, Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Selected Academic Publications:
- Talley, Heather Laine. (forthcoming 2014). Saving Face: Disfigurement, Repair, and the Vital Significance of Appearance. New York University Press
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2012. "Getting Work Done: Cosmetic Surgery as Constraint as Commodity, as Commonplace." In Routledge International Handbook of the Body edited by Bryan Turner. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Talley, Heather Laine and Monica J. Casper. 2012. "Intersex and Aging: A (Cautionary) Research Agenda for the 21st Century." In Handbook of GLBTI Aging, edited by Tarynn M. Witten. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2011. "Not a Pretty Girl: Facial Feminization and the Theory of Facial Sex Difference." In Gender and the Science of Difference: Cultural Politics of Contemporary Science and Medicine, edited by Jill Fischer. Piscataway, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Talley, Heather Laine and Monica J. Casper. 2010. "Oprah Goes to Africa: Philanthropic Consumption and Political Disengagement." In Stories of Oprah: The Oprahfication of American Culture edited by Trystan Cotton and Kimberly Springer. Jackson, MS: The University of Mississippi Press.
- Casper, Monica J. and Heather Laine Talley. 2006. "Feminist Disability Studies." In Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology, edited by George Rizter. Boston: Blackwell Publishing.
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2005. "The Curious Incident of Disability in the Night Time." Journal of Contemporary Ethnography. 34: 235-245.
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2012. Review of Pricing Beauty: The Making of a Fashion Model, by Ashley Mears. American Journal of Sociology.
Select Public Sociology Publications:
- Talley, Heather Laine (with Vali Forrister) 2013. "Zelda Wasn't Crazy: How What We Don't Know About Fitzgerald Tells Us Something about 'Crazy' 'Women Then and Now." In The Huffington Post, May 20.
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2013. "Five Things The Sessions Gets Right: Sex and Disability on Screen." In The Feminist Wire, February 22. Syndicated on Urban Times
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2013. "Can the 'New Normal' Be Something Without Being Everything? " In The Huffington Post, January 18.
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2012. "The Limits of Reproductive Politics: Defining Women's Issues at the DNC." In The Feminist Wire, September 4.
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2011. "The Myth of 'Gay Marriage,' The Reality of Gay Hate: Dispatches from New York and North Carolina." In The Feminist Wire, September 16.
- Talley, Heather Laine. 2011. "Food is a Feminist Issue." In The Feminist Wire, July 12.
Select Professional Service:
- The Feminist Wire Editorial Advisory & Review Collective
- Body and Embodiment Section, American Sociological Society Roundtable Organizer ASA 2014
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Gender & Society
- American Sociological Review
- Sociological Inquiry
- Westview Press
- Feminist Teacher Editorial Collective Member
Select Service to the Community:
- Youth OUTright Board of Directors
- Act Like a Grrrl Program Developer
- Campaign for Southern Equality Volunteer
- Midatlantic Burn Camp Counselor
Select Professional Development:
- "Universal Design: Interrogating Inequality in Learning" ASA Pre-Conference on Teaching and Learning
- THATCamp Feminisms South Digital Humanities and Technology Skill Building UnConference, Emory University
- Democratic National Convention, Press Correspondent The Feminist Wire
- Hearing is Believing Audio Documentary Course, Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University