Associate Dean of the Kimmel School
Associate Professor, Department of Engineering & Technology
Office Address: Belk 164
- Ed.D., Ed. Leadership - Higher Ed. Curriculum and Instruction, Western Carolina University
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering Technology, University of Southern Mississippi
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering Technology, University of Southern Mississippi
Dr. Ferguson joined Hydrostatics Inc. for five years where he was a project supervisor responsible for team design and development of electro-mechanical fluid power and automated systems for the manufacturing and agricultural industries.
3D Constraint-Based Solid Modeling, Engineering Statics, Engineering Graphics, Metrology and Reverse Engineering, Advanced 3D Computer Modeling and Rapid Prototyping, and Engineering Project Capstone.
Student learning; product and process design, prototyping, and development; engineering educational methods, curriculum development and assessment methods.
Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- ABET Ideal Scholar and ABET PEV
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Phi Kappa Phi & Tau Alpha Pi Honor Societies
Selected Publications and Presentations
Ferguson, C. & Sanger, P. (2011). Facilitating student professional readiness through industry sponsored senior capstone projects. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Vancouver, BC. June, 2011.
Sanger, P. & Ferguson, C. (2009). Integrating Project Management, Product Development And Senior Capstone Into A Course Sequence That Creates New Products And Patents For Students. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Austin, Texas. June, 2009
Ferguson, C. & Ball, A. (2008). A comparison of instructional methods for improving the spatial-visualization ability of freshman technology seminar students. Proceeding of the International Journal of Modern Engineering, Technology Interface Journal. April, 2008.
Ball, A. & Ferguson, C. (2008). Development and field testing of a hybrid water heating and dehumidification appliance. Proceeding of the International Journal of Modern Engineering. April, 2008
Sims, B., Ferguson, C., & Birnberg, H. (2006). Computer graphics history and effects on a current construction management curriculum. Journal of the American Professional Constructor, V30 (1), April, 2006.
Ball, A. K., Miceli, F., Ferguson, C. W., & Baskin, E. (2005). Residential water heating dehumidifier (WHD) with devoted dehumidification. The 2005 American Society of Mechanical Engineers International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Symposium on the Analysis/Applications of Heat Pump/Refrigeration Cycles & CHP, Orlando, FL., November 13-18, 2005.
Ferguson, C. W., Ball, A. K., Stone, W. L., & McCrary, P. (2004). Engaging industry in graduate engineering/technology education. Presentation and Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Portland, Oregon. June, 2005. Presented paper at conference.
- Project Leadership Member (Co-PI), Golden Leaf Foundation Grant: Fostering Tomorrow’s Advanced Manufacturing Engineers: A University, Community Colleges, and Industry Collaborative Initiative. Responsible for implementing and facilitating the Collaborative Learning Initiatives; Essential Skills Initiatives; Work Force Training Initiatives; and the Pre-College STEM Initiatives ($90,000 from total budget of $520,000). December, 2013
- PI, National Science Foundation (NSF S-STEM Award DUE-1355872) SPIRIT: Scholarship Program Initiative via Recruitment, Innovation, and Transformation. $625,000 over 4 Years. August 2013.
- PI, Air Force Office of Scientific Research – University Design Challenge Grant, $35,000. Western Carolina University, 2013-2014
- Faculty Researcher, Phase I of Manufacturing Opportunity and Field Test for a Low Cost Water Heating Dehumidifier (WHD) Prototype. RFP Number: KC02040-01. Project in partnership with Oak Ridge National Laboratory to design, build, and test an innovative water heater dehumidifier. Primarily responsible for modeling, optimizing, and testing of WHD fluid system, water heater/dehumidification cycles, documentation, and ideation. This project received national and regional press coverage. 2004 – 2005
- U.S. Patent Application, US 20090163837 A1, Knee Flexion Devices and Methods, Western Carolina University, June, 2009
- U.S. Patent Application; US 20120228350 A1; Apparatus and Methods for Preventing Loss of Wheelchair Foot Pedals, Western Carolina University, December, 2011.
Capstone and Graduate Student Mentorship
- United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC): Airplane Lift-System Project, CoMentor. WCU’s Center for Rapid Product Realization. August 2013 – May 2014.
- United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC): Tactical Illumination Cylinder Project, Primary Mentor. WCU’s Center for Rapid Product Realization. August 2011 – May 2013.
- Dissertation Committee Member, Deborah Ruth Porto. Diffusion of Photovoltaic Occupational Skills Training: Awareness and Adoption in the North Carolina Community Colleges. 2012
- Thesis Committee Member, Jason Proffitt, The Automated Loading and Detection of Brachytherapy Elements Using Non-Mechanical Interaction for Use in Prostrate Cancer Treatment. 2011.
- United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC): Improvement of existing design of field operated wound compression apparatus, Mentor, WCU’s Center for Rapid Product Realization, WCU. 2010-2011.
- Snap-On Tools, Murphy, NC.: Design and development of new product for integration of pneumatic wrench and torque wrench, Primary Mentor. WCU’s Center for Rapid Product Realization, WCU. Spring 2011
- Shands Research Hospital, MT&T, Jacksonville, FL.: Designed and developed aquaplast head restraint system for photon/ proton radiation therapy, Primary Mentor. WCU’s Center for Rapid Product Realization. 2009 - 2010.
- Thesis Chair, Chris Rhoades, Accuracy Characterization of the ATOS White Light Scanner and Geomagic Reverse Engineering Software in Developing 3D Constraint-Based Solid Computer Models. 2010
- Shands Research Hospital, MT&T, Jacksonville, FL.: Designed and developed bite plate apparatus for tracking of head movements during proton/photon radiation treatments, Primary Mentor. WCU’s Center for Rapid Product Realization. 2009
- Thesis Committee Chair, Tyler Bennett, A Feasibility Study of Two Alternate Proton Radiation Compensator Designs. 2009.
- Thesis Committee Member, Brett Banther, The Characteristics of Process Parameters in Response to Engineering Fits and Tolerances for a Statasys FDM Titian Rapid Prototyping Machine. 2008.
- Thesis Committee Member, Johnson Busick – A Comparative Study of Mechanical and Process Parameters between Polylactide Biopolymer and Polypropopylene Polymer. 2008.
- The Kimmel School Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising, 2011-2012
- The Kimmel School’s Board of Governors Faculty Teaching Award, 2007-2008
- MARC Marketing Association for Rehabilitation Centers Directors Award, 2005
University Program Prioritization Task Force; University Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Committee; QEP Assessment Committee; University Collegial Review Committee; University Curriculum Committee; Liberal Studies Oversight Committee; Board of Governors Teaching Award Committee; 20/20 Commission Sub-Committee on Regional Engagement; University Suspension and Appeals Committee; University Space Utilization Committee; Registrar’s Advisory Board; Advisement Center Advisory Board; College Collegial Review Committee; Dean’s Faculty Advisory Committee; Departmental Program Assessment Committee; College Curriculum Committee; Departmental Collegial Review Committee; Departmental Collegial Review Document Committee; Departmental Peer Review of Teaching Committee.