The MSW Advanced Standing program is designed for students who have graduated from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)-accredited BSW program within the past 5 years. In order to avoid duplication of course content offered in accredited undergraduate Social Work programs, a select number of students who meet the specific criteria outlined below are eligable to apply to the Advanced Standing Program.
Admission to the Advanced Standing Program allows students to complete their MSW degree in one year instead of two by waiving the first year foundation course requirements. Students applying for this option must demonstrate their readiness to function at the level of a second-year MSW student.
Acceptance into the Advanced Standing Program is not automatic, and admission to the program is highly competitive. Admissions are limited to students who have excelled academically and professionally.
NOTE: Graduating with an undergraduate degree in social work within the five-year limit does not prevent interested applicants from applying for the regular program of study.
Additional Eligibility Requirements for Advanced Standing:
- Earned bachelor’s degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program within the past five years
- Overall GPA of 3.2 or above
- Three exceptional letters of recommendation; At least one must be from a faculty member familiar with the applicant’s academic work, and one additional recommendation must be from the applicant’s undergraduate field instructor. If the applicant is employed in a social work-related job, a recommendation from the applicant’s supervisor is desired.
- MUST complete entire application packet prior to February 1 deadline. Applications submitted after this deadline are reviewed only if space is available.
- Students who have not completed their undergraduate degree at the time of application must do so before the beginning of summer classes. Any offer of admission will be provisional until evidence of satisfactory completion is received.
The Advanced Standing Program is comprised of the concentration year courses (30 credit hours) plus three credits of a summer preparation course (SOCW 553-Advanced Standing Bridge Course). Upon successful completion of the summer term with an earned grade of “B” or above, students will join the ongoing MSW class and enroll in the second year of the regular MSW program. Part-time status in the Advanced Standing Program is not an option.
All advanced standing students will be assigned to the MSW program director for academic advising. In addition, the students must complete their practicum application and meet with the Director of Field Instruction prior to the beginning of the fall semester. Advanced standing students have the option of taking other elective courses in the summer but they are not required to do so.