“Being a social work major has opened my eyes to all types of people. I can’t wait to get out there and use my skills to empower people to live their lives to the fullest.”
Molly B. Levine
The undergraduate program offers a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree with a major in Social Work as preparation for a number of careers from public service to work in the private sector. .
The undergraduate social work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), and its principal educational goal is to prepare students for beginning generalist social work practice.
A student's declaration of a major in social work does not guarantee admission to the BSW program. Students initially declare Pre-Social Work (PSWK) as a major and are eligible to apply and be formally admitted to the Social Work major when they have:
- Attained an overall 2.80 or higher GPA,
- Completed a minimum of 35 credit hours including SOCW 151: Introduction to Social Work,
- Completed or are currently enrolled in SOCW 251: Social Policy and SOCW 253: Interviewing
- Acknowledged and illustrated their capacity to meet the Professional and Technical Standards of the Social Work Program.
Students are required to maintain an overall GPA of 2.8 or better each semester in order to remain in the program. See the Department of Social Work’s “Admission and Termination Policies” in the BSW Student Handbook (Word) for detailed information.
120 Hours are required for graduation. In addition to the 42 required hours of liberal studies, the major requires 63 hours as outlined below and 15 hours of general electives. See the suggested 8-semester plan for BSW students HERE.
Only grades of C or higher in required and elective social work courses will satisfy requirements for the major. Only one Social Work required course may be taken for a grade replacement. The following courses are required:
- SOCW 151, Introduction to Social Work, 3 hours
- SOCW 251, Social Issues Policy and Programs, 3 hours
- SOCW 253, Practice I: Interviewing and Ethics, 3 hours
- SOCW 334, Human Behavior and the Social Environment -Life Stages, 3 hours
- SOCW 335, Social Work Research and Evaluation, 3 hours
- SOCW 354, Human Behavior and the Social Environment - Person -in -Environment, 3 hours
- SOCW 360, Practice II: Case Management. 3 hours
- SOCW 362, Practice III: Interventions, 3 hours
- SOCW 364, Community Practice, 3 hours
- SOCW 402, Diversity in Contemporary Society, 3 hours
- SOCW 486, Field Practicum, 12 hours
- SOCW 496, Field Practicum Seminar, 3 hours
- SOCW Electives, 9 hours
A grade of C or above is also required in the following required courses:
- PSC 150, American Government and Politics, 3 hours
- PSY 150, General Psychology, 3 hours
- BIOL 104, Human Biology, 3 hours
The minor in Social Work will no longer be available effective Fall 2014. Students who declared a Social Work minor prior to Fall 2014 will be able to complete the minor.