What our Recent Graduates are Saying!
"This program being online was the only way I could attend a program of study while working full-time. I feel like I've learned so much about community, leadership, and research in nursing that enabled me to grow in my current position."
"I greatly appreciate Western’s RN to BSN program. The faculty of the Nursing School is very supportive and determined to see us succeed. This was very different from my first experience in Nursing School. They have helped me with becoming more autonomous, sure of myself, and more proud of the nursing profession. Thank you again for the School of Nursing."
"The strength of this program is that it is very convenient for working people to be able to finish their BSN and MSN. It makes it possible. Otherwise I would not have been able to accomplish this goal in my life. You made it possible for a 55-year-old mother to share her college experiences with her children. They are very proud of mom getting her BSN."
The following criteria are all required for admission to the RN to BSN Program:
- Completion of all WCU Liberal Studies* and School of Nursing Prerequisites Courses with a C or better before the program begins,
- A current, unrestricted license to practice as an RN (including the state where the clinical requirements will be satisfied),
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA** of 2.5 or higher at time of application,
- Completion of 60 transferable non-nursing courses before the program begins,
- 60 is the minimum hours required but 62 is suggested.
- Submission of the WCU Office of Admissions Application For Admissions along with all official transcripts by the application deadline, &
- Submission of the RN to BSN Application Packet along with transcripts by the application deadline.
To determine admission eligibility, students can have their transcripts reviewed by the RN to BSN Student Services Specialist prior to applying. This is recommended for anyon interested in the program:
- Complete and submit the Transcript Evaluation Request, AND
- Submit a copy of each transcript from all previously attended colleges and/or universities
- Application deadline for Fall (August) admission is March 10, and Spring (January) is September 10.
- Click here to begin the RN to BSN Program Application process!
- Requirements may be in progress at the time of application, but all prerequisite courses, including the 60 hours of non-nursing hours, are must be completed before starting the RN to BSN program.
Evaluation and Application
*Acceptance into the RN to BSN program is based upon the School of Nursing's Office of Student Services unofficially evaluating all transfer coursework. Student Services will complete transcript evaluations and process applications for admission, however, the WCU Registrar's Office has the final decision on how Liberal Studies courses will be transferred for students upon acceptance into the RN to BSN Program. In the event that the Registrar's Office determines a course not to be equivalent to a Liberal Studies prerequisite, students must complete any pending prerequisites concurrently with the program curriculum.
If you have an Associate of Arts or an Associate Science from a NC community college or a Bachelor’s degree from a UNC state university, the Liberal Studies requirement is waived. An Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS) or Associate of General Education (AGE) does not waive this requirement. Courses and degrees which do not originate at a North Carolina institution will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
**Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) refers to the overall GPA, which includes dividing the number of quality points earned in all courses attempted by the total degree-credit hours in all attempted courses.
You may find NC Community College course equivalents to meet prerequisites: NC Community College Course Equivalencies - found under "Credits Earned Elsewhere" You may search for online course availability for any NC Community College: Virtual Learning Community.
If you have questions about the RN to BSN Program please contact Student Services at WCUnursing@wcu.edu.