1. Admission to Western Carolina University as a degree-seeking student with post-baccalaureate
2. Graduate of an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s or higher degree.
3. Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale.
4. TEAS Admission Assessment Score. To learn more, visit the TEAS website.
5. Completed ABSN application.
6. Completion of the following prerequisite courses with a grade of ‘C’ or above.*
- Chemistry 132 – Introductory Chemistry with lab (4 hours)
- Chemistry 133 – Survey Organic/Biochemistry with lab (4 hours)
- Biology 291 – Human Anatomy & Physiology with lab (4 hours)
- Biology 292 – Human Anatomy & Physiology with lab (4 hours)
- Environmental Health 260/261 – Etiology of Infectious Disease with lab (3 hours)
- Psychology 150 – General Psychology (3 hours)
- ND 338 – Normal & Therapeutic Nutrition
- NSG 346 – Pathophysiology for Nursing (may only be repeated once for a total of two
Students may elect to complete the course prerequisites at a community college or
other university. Prior course equivalency approval is required for courses taken
at another institution. Click here for more information about North Carolina Community College course equivalencies for the prerequisites.
*The School of Nursing requires applicants to have completed at least three of the five science courses with a grade of ‘C’ or better by the application deadline. Students with prerequisites remaining at the time of application must submit and satisfy a prerequisite completion plan prior to the first semester of the ABSN Option. Prerequisite completion plans are listed within the ABSN application.
Note - Admission to the ABSN Option is highly selective. Admission selection criteria for eligible applications will be based on:
- Cumulative GPA (50%)
- TEAS Admission Assessment Exam Score (25%)
- Resume and Cover Letter Score (10%)
- Interview with the ABSN Admissions Committee (15%)