The NSSLHA chapter of Western Carolina University in Cullowhee is excited about the 2013-2014 academic year! We have graduate and undergraduate officers as well as two faculty advisors who are ready to fulfill our mission! The WCU NSSLHA Chapter is involved in several fundraising, service, and social events this year.
Fundraising Events Include:
• Bake sales at various times throughout the year on Western's campus. Through the funds raised, WCU NSSLHA may help send a student to the ASHA convention, provide funding for service events, and provide meals and supplies for events such as the Spring banquet for graduates.
• Snacks in the Student Room. To fight those afternoon cravings, NSSLHA provides chips, soft drinks, crackers and candy to CSD students in the department’s student room for a low cost.
Service Events include:
• Memory Walk, sponsored by the Alzheimer’s Association. The Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk® is the nation's largest event to raise awareness and funds to fight Alzheimer’s disease. The money raised will go toward research to treat and prevent Alzheimer’s, and programs to improve the lives of millions of Americans. WCU NSSLHA chapter has created a team to participate in the Memory Walk in Asheville on Saturday, October 23. Check out NSSLHA’s Facebook page for information on how to join the team! Visit http://www.alz.org/memorywalk/ for more information on the Alzheimer’s Association Memory Walk®.
• Cullowhee Conference. WCU NSSLHA is also a sponsor of the Cullowhee Conference on Communicative Disorders, a spring event implemented by our department to provide continuing education opportunities to SLP’s in our local and surrounding communities.
In addition to service, we strive to build relationships and camaraderie among our student members and faculty.
Social Events Include:
• The Buddy System that links 1st and 2nd year graduate students together for support through the graduate school experience.
• Fun events to keep students connected when not in class such as bowling, skiing and eating!
As you can see, WCU NSSLHA is striving to make a difference in our department, our community, and the world! For more information, visit our Facebook page (NSSLHA WCU chapter) or contact the 2013-2014 NSSLHA advisors!
Laura Trivette—Faculty Advisor
Tracie Rice—Faculty Advisor